chapter fifteen

"GUYS!" When Max called out, looking down the road Jonathan had driven down, the group saw two cars speeding towards them from the lab, beeping. Evelyn ran forwards and grabbed hold of Max, pulling her out of the road as Dustin and Steve shouted.

"Look out!" Evelyn watched Jonathan's car drive ahead and a familiar Chevy brake harshly stopping where they were all stood. She saw Hopper in the driver's seat, a green hospital gown instead of his uniform and his skin was shining in the street lamps with sweat. Evelyn was grinning nonetheless at the sight of him. He saw her and made an order, beckoning them into the vehicle.

"Let's go." Steve opened the door and ushered them all in. He climbed in the front seat, pulling the passenger door close behind him. They drove to the Byers house.

Bob was dead. And when they had arrived, Hopper lay Will's limp burning body down on the couch in his bloodied hospital gown. Eve had fallen to his side. Her eyes had filled but then Jonathan fell beside him too, stroking his hair and she had to remember that she wasn't even family. She sucked in the air harshly and stood, taking a few steps back. She landed beside Steve, perching on the wood with him. Evelyn was watching Will, unconscious and pale but Steve was watching Nancy, her hand on Jonathan's shoulder and her face pained by what he was going through. It took a while for Evelyn to see it, her initial worries being placed with Will, of course, but then she saw it. Evelyn sighed and looked towards Steve, one hand on his mouth and then he wiped his nose, looking away. Evelyn looked down at his free hand and squeezed it supportively. He watched her fingers slide out of his and when she let go, he saw the back of Nancy again and he walked into the other room.

"Name? Sam Owen's. Doctor Sam Owens. I don't know how many people are there! I don't know how many people are left alive-" Evelyn sighed painfully with Hopper's words and looked up to see him shout down Joyce's telephone. "I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper. Yes, the number that I gave you, yes. Six seven-six seven. Yes I will be here." He slammed it into the wall and Evelyn looked at her hands. He wiped a large hand over his face and growled into it, and as if she were ten years old  again Evelyn waked up to Hopper precariously and wrapped her arms around him. She was surprised when he held her tightly, squeezing her against his warm chest. She felt his words vibrate through his torso and against her head as he said, "I'll make sure you stay safe, Evie. Alright? I promise." But then Evelyn let go without looking up at him and shook her head. He could see her eyes were glassy.

"Make sure they stay safe." She looked at the Byers children behind her and then at those gathered around the wooden table ahead of her and Steve, who was looking out the far window. Evelyn brought a sharp intake of air through her teeth. She wasn't a child anymore - she shouldn't need protecting, even if she wanted to be. She didn't need a stand-in father. They needed his help. "Them." And she walked heavy hearted into the Byer's kitchen.

"They didn't believe you did they?" Dustin was saying.

"We'll see." Hopper said when he looked away from Evelyn's small figure, dragging his eyes to the boy in the white and red cap.

"We'll see?!" It was Mike, his voice trying to dominate the room. "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" His eyes accidentally moved to Evelyn again. He remembered the nights she'd fallen asleep in his car - she found she never had nightmares there, so he used to drive her into the city and then back through Hawkins. He used to carry her into her home in the early hours of the morning; he used to check on her at school and bring her snacks when she was sad. He taught her how to shoot; he bought her books he knew she'd like and framed her paintings. But now she was three inches taller than the girl he knew and her worries were forever on someone else. He looked at Mike.