chapter seven

EVELYN had a free period. She was sat on the bonnet of her car in the sun, legs crossed with her sketchbook balanced on her lap. She had a pencil in one hand and her orange juice carton her aunt had shoved unknowingly in her bag in the other. She'd found it when she was looking for her notebook in Chemistry.

"Eve!" Evelyn looked up to see Steve Harrington as he jogged over to her. She smiled a hello, but her eyebrows were furrowed. Confused. He wore a grey T-shirt wet around the neck, arms and back with the words 'Hawkins Phys. Ed.' on it in emerald green. He wore matching shorts and she looked down to see his once-white adidas trainers. Now, grey and splitting around the soles. She smirked when he leant his sweaty arm on the front of her Honda Civic. She looked at him expectantly with raised eyebrows and Steve flashed his teeth at her. She could tell he wanted something.

"Your hair's wet." Evelyn said, pointing to the bird's nest dripping onto his face with the end of her pencil. He scoffed and wiped his face over for the eight time with the towel he'd thrown over his shoulder.

"You didn't come to my game." Evelyn pretended to pout and cooed a fake apology, placing a hand on her heart.

"I'm sure I'll survive."

"Lucky for you," he placed both his elbows on her bonnet and cradled his chin, fawning irresistible charm but admittedly, it didn't work as well when he was dripping on to the front of her car. "There's still half left." Evelyn shook her head, sipping her orange juice. He pointed at it, seeing hydration in her hands and she followed his eyes as he mouthed, "you finished with that?" He took if from her before she answered. It was evident she wasn't finished, but she didn't mind. He drank it desperately, and she croaked a laugh as she spoke.

"So I can watch a room of full of sweaty boys I don't know jump around each other and throw a ball in a hoop?" She shook her head. Steve squeezed the carton until it crumpled in his hand as he tipped his head back, he frowned.

"What're you doing then?" He saw her sketchbook and Evelyn moved when his eyes turned mischievous. She was already panicking when he grabbed at the spine of it and yanked it out of her grip. She shouted at him to give it back, trying to reach it. Steve placed a hand against her and effortlessly held off her attack. He laughed and turned it round. "You know this is me?"

"You know this is me?" Evelyn sneered trying to grab it.

"It's crazy that I'm that attractive." Evelyn laughed loudly, cackling breathlessly as she fought pathetically for her book.

"Steve, just give it back." The sketch was amazing though, it looked exactly like him, almost like a picture taken with a camera. He didn't have time to say that though because he was mocking her pout.

"Come to the gym then."

"But you already stink so bad." Steve trapped the book against his chest.

"Right, that's it." He turned back towards the gym but saw her driver's window open as he turned. At some point, she must've been sat in it. The devil taking over him, Steve leant into her car and placed his hand firmly on the horn.

"Oh my god!" Evelyn jumped from her seat at the sound and ran up to him, trying to pry his arm away. She was turning pink with every second, knowing people were looking at where they were; the horn's scream filling the school parking lot. "Oh my God!" Evelyn pushed at his arm, trying to grab her sketchbook in the process. "Steve! Shush!" He started beeping it over an over in a tune to mock her and she threw out her arms, grabbing at his hand. "Fine! Fine! Jesus!" He let go and an accomplished smile spread across his face. Bowing, he handed the book back to her with pleasure and she snatched it with a huff. She opened the door, rolled up the window as Steve jogged back towards the school and she grabbed her bag and keys.

Evelyn sat on one of those wooden benches lining the back of the gym. They'd had emergency assembly's here sometimes; Evelyn remembered the one for Will clearly. Swallowing and avoiding eye contact with the few bodies scattered on the different rows, she found an empty bench and sat beside the stairs. She caught Steve's eye when she looked down to the marked court. He grinned, proud of himself, and she shook her head smiling. Arse. It was exactly as Evelyn expected; lots of boys she didn't know dancing around each other and fighting for the ball. She was already scowling upon seeing Max's older brother, who had caught her the day before with his car. But when he smashed his chest against Steve Harrington forcefully and toppled him to the floor, Evelyn frowned. He was shirtless and wore a cocky smile and it made Evelyn cheeks flush with anger. She didn't care for sports but seeing this stranger target Steve and Steve alone, she bit back her cheer whenever Steve made his way past Billy.

"What did you think?" Evelyn tucked her hair behind her ear, adjusting the strap of her bag with a roll of her green eyes. Steve had met Evelyn just outside the gym on his way to the shower. She leant against the brick wall looking up to him through a fake scowl. He copied her.

"I was wrong." Steve's mouth parted in a grin and he laughed, punching the air.

"Really?"

"Yeah," Evelyn said, resting her head against the brick and looking up at him through her eyelashes. "It was a bunch of boys I do know, but don't like, jumping around to throw a ball in a hoop." Steve threw his hands up sighing, she was giggling.

"Hey, Summers!" Evelyn's eyes snapped to the voice calling her name and her smile suddenly looked forced. Steve turned and sighed when they were interrupted, but it wasn't loud enough for Evelyn to hear.

"Hi."

"You cut your hair." Tommy was saying. He knew her from about a year ago when he used to catch Steve talking to her, since then he would say something to her every time he noticed her. Fortunately for him, they were in the same Chemistry class. His dark short hair was sticking to his forehead and like Steve he had a towel resting over the opposite shoulder. His face was a mixed shade of pink from the excercise and he wore the same Hawkins sports gear as Steve.

Suddenly conscious of herself, Evelyn tucked the short blonde strands behind her ears. "Yeah." Tommy nodded, slapping his hands together and nudging Steve with his elbow. He wore a smirk that looked lopsided on his face and he had a constellation of freckles covering his cheeks. She'd never spent the time to map them out though because there wasn't a spare moment when she didn't want to slap him across the face.

"It's hot." Evelyn breathed in sharply. She squinted, unimpressed. She pushed herself off of the brick wall and gripped her bag strap. His muddy brown eyes trailed down her body, struggling to stay on her face. Evelyn continued to stare at him, clearing her throat, her eyebrows further shadowing her eyes and when Steve sighed. He ran a hand through his greasy hair. His jaw visibly tightened watching Tommy but Evelyn didn't see. "I've not seen you in a while." Tommy then said and Evelyn crossed her arms, looking up at him.

"We had Chemistry together this morning." She responded flatly and Steve choked on a laugh. He covered his mouth when Tommy glared at him. Evelyn was still scowling at Tommy but then just turned her attention back to Steve. In a deflated and uncomfortable voice, her eyes straying warily towards the boy on his left.

"I'll see you later." Steve then sighed loud enough for Evelyn to hear.

"Evie," he walked forward, his hand wafting out in front of him as if to grab her and pull her back but then he spun with the movement and grabbed the towel round his neck, wiping his face with a groan.

"Oh! Ev-ie!" Tommy faked a moan and with a frown, Steve scanned his face silently saying 'what're you doing?" And then knocked shoulders with Tommy forcefully on the way past him to the boys locker room.