chapter eleven

WHEN Steve and Evelyn arrived at the Summer's home late that night and exhausted, Steve was still worried sick about Evelyn as he walked her up to the door.

"God, you look awful, love." Evelyn smiled, shaking her head as her aunt greeted them. There were periods of time in Evelyn's life where she would have weeks of night-terrors about the night her parents died. Or she would wake up feeling responsible for things completely out of her control; like her uncle not getting a promotion, or her aunt missing the bus in to town. Her aunt and uncle would run to wake her up as she screeched into the night. Evelyn would therefore avoid sleep at times like this just to stop the nightmares. If she were awake, she couldn't dream. A constant exhausted fear would weigh on her kind and gentle face but it was at these times she was never herself. She looked like that now, arms wrapped around herself on the porch. She was her most vulnerable-self and Linda was surprised to see she was with someone; Evelyn hated them seeing her like this and would avoid people at all costs. But seeing someone stood with her warmed her aunt's heart.

"I'm fine." She insisted, casting her eyes to Steve and her Aunt Linda with a polite smile. Her aunt, alert with motherly worry, beckoned both the teenagers in to her home.

"You must stay for some food Steve, you both must be starving." She was gesturing over the pair of them with a tea-towel in her hand. Steve had tried to decline but then Evelyn walked inside and he couldn't help but follow her and sit beside her when she finally rested. Her aunt made them both a cup of tea and Evelyn hugged it while she thanked Steve for being here and they spoke about everything and anything. Both of them felt better distracted and it seemed there couldn't be anyone better to be sat next too. It was also like they were made to be each other's company. They sat on the couch together, Evelyn leant sleepily on her arm, propping herself up to look at him. Steve was telling Eve some crazy high school story, something wonderfully normal, when her aunt called them in to the kitchen. Steve waited for Evelyn to get up first, watching her like she might shatter if he looked away. He knew she wouldn't, but a part of him wanted to check anyway.

"Thank you Mrs Summers." Steve said, "I know it's late, I appreciate this-"

"Nonsense." Linda was scolding, "Sit down and both of you get comfortable and explain to me why you look like you've been rolling around in the garden." Steve looked down at his clothes, not even having noticed how dirty they were. Evelyn did the same and chuckled. They were both painted with mud. She even had some on her cheek.

"I hadn't even realised." Evelyn muttered. She pulled out a chair at the kitchen table and Steve did the same, plonking himself down with a sigh.

"Do you like carrots, son?" Steve nodded.

"Yes, Mrs Summers. Thank you." Evelyn tucked her hair behind her ears, sitting opposite Steve. Still not having answered her aunt's question, Evelyn scanned at the wood in front of her as if it would tell her a way to say: 'we were looking for Dustin's alien monster all night.'

"Eve has been tutoring me but then one of our friends lost his cat and we ended up offering to help find it." Linda chuckled to herself and started clanking pans and plates as she warmed them some food.

"Do you need any help, Mrs Summers?" Linda wafted her hand in the air almost offended.

"Of course not! And you must always feel welcome to come here, Steve. Wether it be for supper or a cup of tea - dropping of my niece like you have, Love, making sure she's safe, it means so much to us." Eve smiled when she saw her uncle pass through in to the kitchen. "Promise me." She pointed at him with her tea-towel and Steve, surprised, struggled for words.

"I-I promise, yeah."

"I heard voices." Henry said with a friendly grin as he entered the conversation. He wore matching plum pyjamas and had novelty monkey slippers on his feet. He held a mug of coffee in one hand despite it being the early hours of the morning and pulled a chair out with the other. Steve recognised him as one of the Hawkins Police Department but couldn't help stifling a laugh seeing him so out of his usual character. "You must be Steve!" Her uncle said as Evelyn stood to help her aunt, even though she'd declined their help several times.