𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

April 17th, 1985

April 17th, 1985

After taking up on the offer to stay for detention, I felt this feeling of tension wash over me. I spent the entire night not being able to sleep because of it. It wasn't because I would be ditching Steve and leaving him home alone for a few hours, but because of Evelyn shaming me for volunteering.

Things may have changed for those detention kids. Not everything can be stereotyped all the time. If I can recall, I'm sure Steve was in detention before and he didn't find it as terrible as he thought.

When it was the end of the day, I was in the library with Evelyn. We waited for the students to get on their buses and clear out of the school, only a few stayed behind for after school activities and clubs while a handful were heading to detention.

Evelyn stood behind the counter with the returned books stacked in a neat pile. She was obviously worrying herself so much that I could see the wrinkle forming in between her eyebrows.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Evelyn asked. "I can stay behind with you until detentions over."

I was growing nervous at the thought of managing detention after school. Out of nerves I started pinching my new name tag but I couldn't let anyone see it. I would be made out as weak and innocent.

I gave her a look to tell her to stop worrying so much.

"I'll be fine." I told her.

"Are you," She was saying but I stopped her.

"Yes, Evelyn. I'm sure." I briefly said.

With some hesitation she picked up her bag and water bottle from behind the counter. I knew she didn't want to leave me here alone but I had to do this myself. I was the one who made the sacrifice for the entire month left of school.

"If there's any trouble you know where the baseball coach is, right?" She questioned.

"In his office a few doors down from the gym. I know." I stated.

She sighed. "If you say so."
She hummed a nervous laugh before she fixed her bag on her shoulder and started heading outside of the library.

I sighed to have a brief moment with myself. Was I really ready for what was waiting for me? Perhaps I was, but was it really worth my time? Possibly since I'm getting paid overtime for it.

After thoroughly checking with myself, I exited the library not too long after Evelyn. With my bag hanging on my shoulder, I walked down the hall in search of the detention room.