7

chapter seven

chapter seven

the small children stood on the prince's bed throwing pillows at each other and giggling. they were have a pillow fight because Zuko had tickled the young girl, so she hit him with a pillow, causing the fight to begin. feathers from the pillows flew around the room and Yanmei looked up with a bright smile on her face.

"it's raining feathers!" she giggled and twirled around the bed, feathers falling on her.

Zuko smiled at the girl in awe. they were young, but anyone could tell that the fire prince was infatuated with the orphan girl. Yanmei was oblivious to it though, she felt so much joy when she was with the prince, but it wasn't the same as to what he felt. not at that point at least. when he saw couples around the nation, he imagined himself and Yanmei being that same way when they got older.

but dreams don't always come true, the fire prince has learned that the hard way.

Yanmei and Iroh sat on chairs in the middle of the ships deck. the girl filed her nails as Zuko looked through a telescope to find the avatar. Iroh sniffed the air causing Yanmei to give him a strange look.

"there is a storm coming, a big one" Iroh said.

"you're out of your mind, uncle! the weather is perfect; there's not a cloud in sight" Zuko assured his uncle, but not in the best way. Zuko was on edge and angrier than ever after being rejected by Yanmei.

feeling the change in the air, Yanmei looked up at the two with a bored expression, "it's coming from the north"

much of Iroh's knowledge had rubbed off on the girl.

"i suggest we redirect our courses and head south west" Iroh added on from beside Zuko.

"we know the avatar is traveling northward, so we will do the same"

"prince Zuko, consider the safety of the crew"

"the safety of the crew doesn't matter!" Zuko shouted towards his uncle, just as a crew member walked in board and gave the prince a raised brow.

"finding the avatar is far more important than any individual's safety" Zuko snaps in the mans face and walks away.

"he doesn't mean that, he's just worked up" Iroh says apologetically to the man.

Yanmei rolled her eyes, "we all know he means it Iroh" she says from her chair and continues to fiddle with her fingers. she didn't want to look at Zuko after what happened the night before, she couldn't face him after what she said. after what he did.

some of the crew shortly joined Yanmei on the deck and she talked with them. although she loved spending time with Zuko and Iroh, she enjoyed the company of people who weren't the royals. she never felt like she was like them, she felt more comfortable when she was with her lower ranked friends.