17

chapter seventeen

chapter seventeen

after a whole day of traveling, the gaang finally settled on a landing spot to set up camp for the night.

"hey, you guys picked a great campsite, the grass is so soft" Toph says with a smile.

"that's not grass, Appa's shedding"

Katara scrunched her face in disgust, "ew! gross!"

"it's not gross, it's apart of spring. you know, rebirth, flowers blooming, and Appa gets a new coat" Aang says. Yanmei rolls her eyes as she brushes off some of Appa's fur off of her clothing.

"alright mister 'all knowing, educated nomad' maybe you should be a motivational speaker once the war ends" Yanmei said sarcastically. she was tired and wanted to hurry up and unpack so she could sleep.

"Yanny, could you get water?" Katara asked once the others were done goofing around with Appa's fur.

"sure. Sokka, come get water with me"

"but-"

"Sokka! here! now!" she yelled causing her boyfriend to jump and run after her.

"coming!" he yells after her.

Toph furrows her brows and speaks up to Katara once the couple leaves, "she seems controlling"

"no! she's not, really, she just... likes his company" Katara nervously sputtered out. she didn't want to tell Toph that the reason was because the dual bender didn't like the blind bender. it would hurt her feelings.

"i know when you're lying, Katara" Toph says with crosses arms.

Katara sighs, "Yanmei just hasn't had good encounters with earthbenders, a couple of them killed a guy she really loved a while back, but i'm sure she'll warm up to you soon"

Toph shrugged, "eh, i don't care. if she hates me, she hates me"

"i hate her! she thinks she's all high and mighty cause she's a rich earthbender! ugh!" Yanmei rants as she uses her bending to bend the water out of a tree father in the woods.

Sokka groans, he was aggravated that his girlfriend didn't like the newest member of the group, but wouldn't actually tell her cause he understood her reason, "she's not that bad"

"she pushed me off of appa when we were flying last night. luckily i know how to use my fire bending to guide me back to appa or else i could've died!"

++++++++++++

Yanmei is a hard sleeper, it's nearly impossible to wake her up. so when the gaang woke up to a large machine chasing them, Yanmei had no idea and had to have Sokka carry her into Appa. she didn't even know they had left camp until Appa collapsed onto a mountain after their second time leaving camp, causing everyone to fall onto he ground.