22

chapter twenty-two

chapter twenty-two

the upper ring of Ba Sing Se was a place Yanmei wanted to discover. she had heard from merchants and citizens as she strolled the lower ring streets that it was beautiful, full of wonderful shops, held new job opportunities, and the architecture was magnificent. Yanmei wanted to go there, just too see the landscapes and sculptures people talked about, to smell the flowers, go to the shops and admire the latest earth kingdom fashions, and maybe get a job she enjoyed. she was a beautiful young woman who was kind but also had a bit if fire in her eyes, so no doubt someone would offer her a job there.

Zuko and Iroh were working all day, so Yanmei decided that it was her day to explore. she sneakily found a way to get a train ticket to the upper ring, which was impossible for most people in the lower ring,  and hopped on the first train, her leg bouncing nervously as she left the lower ring to the most secluded and fancy part of the city. 

she gasped as the upper ring came into view. it was absolutely beautiful. the gold roof of the buildings shined with the sunlight, the trees were a magnificent green, the water from the fountains flowed clear and effortlessly, the city was everything she dreamed it would be. Yanmei loved the Fire Nation palace and the architecture, but something about the Earth Kingdom city of Ba Sing Se held a greater beauty than any other place she had been to.

"I'm guessing it's your first time in the ring?" a slightly older man asked with a chuckle. he looked to be in his twenties, a couple years older than the dual bender, with brown hair and emerald green eyes and a small beard growing, but it suited him.

"is it that obvious?" laughed, brushing her hair behind her ear. 

he nodded, "that spark in your eyes and your jaw hanging to the floor says it all"

the train stops at they arrive at the upper ring station. all the passenger get off and disperse to wherever they need to go. the man from before stands beside Yanmei as she looks to where she wants to go first.

"I just moved to the city," she says, turning to the man. "I've heard great things about the great capital of Ba Sing Se, I want to see what all the fuss is about"

the man nods with a chuckle, "understandable. my parents and I moved here when I was a child for that same reason. since then they've become wealthy and own some of the businesses around here. though they're quite snobby about it"

"you don't seem snobby to me"

"I'm nothing like my parents. all they care about is their wealth, but I know there's more to life than riches," he looks back at the smaller, wealthier side of the city, "would you like a tour miss..."

"Yanmei. and yes, I would love that"

the man, who Yanmei discovered was named Akemi, lead the girl down the staircase and straight through the heart of the upper ring. he told her of the shops nearby, the gardens, and pointed to some of the businesses his family owned as they walked.