Chapter 3

Nora Johannes

I carefully poured the macaroni and cheese into the small, plastic princess bowl and wiped away the remains before pouring myself a bowlful of the remains. After scraping away at the sides to make sure everything was taken, I placed the pot into the sink and let the water run until half the pot was full. I let it sit and then grabbed two cups from the croaky cupboard, pouring two cups of water and then decided to finally call for my sister.

"Alma!" I shouted, "Dinner's ready. Wash your hands then come eat please." I listened to her rush to the bathroom and turn on the sink to scrub at her tiny hands and sat down at one of the wooden chairs to wait for her. She took no time at all and ran into the kitchen with a grin, a doll in her hand (as usual) and her hair flowing freely. Like me, we both had curly hair though hers was a bit thinner and lighter than mine. Our hair, eyes, shortness and quietness were possibly the only things that made us seem recognisable as sisters.

Our eyes were both a very light blue and seemed almost transparent, so they definitely earned us a few compliments and made us stand out. Though our eyes were the final and only thing that made us the same appearance wise– whilst I had blonde hair, Alma had gorgeous auburn coloured hair that stood out whenever the light shined on it. My skin was pretty pale though could tan under the heat and I knew I wasn't too white: whereas Alma's had silky, pale white skin and stood against her hair beautifully. Our facial features were also pretty different, but I won't bother going in depth since Alma was only a kid and therefore her features would grow more distinct and mature as she grew up.

"Did you wash your hands super carefully?" I asked, pushing her chair in and towards the table as she nodded insistently and showed me her hands as if I could tell whether or not they were clean. I simply nodded in response and told her she could begin eating, slowly starting to feed myself as well.

We were halfway through our meal and Alma was busy talking about and explaining to me how her day went when the front door bursted open and in came my aunt, looking as tired, drunk and practically dead as ever. I quickly stood up and went to stand in front of Alma, holding my hand out so she could immediately grab it.

My aunt chucked her keys onto the broken stool in the corner and turned to face me, a bored look on her face. "The fuck are you looking at?" Her expression turned from bored to challenged as she narrowed her eyes at me and made me gulp nervously. I desperately wanted nothing more than to scowl at her and shout at her for swearing in front of a four year old, but I knew better than to do so and kept my mouth shut. I'd have to tell Alma never to say those words later.

"Nothing, Grace. Sorry." I whispered, turning my head downwards in hopes that I hadn't angered her. My aunt also made me and Alma call her by her first name, telling me that she didn't want a reminder that we were related. Yikes.

She scoffed. "That's what I fuckin' thought. Clean up, will you? You made a mess in my kitchen, you brat." I nodded and stared at her with scared eyes, watching her as she looked at Alma and I for a few seconds before grumbling under her breath and walking down the hall and into her room. I stayed still until I heard her slam the door shut and then released a small breath and turned to face Alma.

"Sorry about that, Munch." I apologised, rubbing the top of her head affectionately as she peered up at me.

She managed a smile, "It's okay, Nor. Auntie is just being grumpy again." Alma replied, and I smiled and nodded weakly in response before telling her to quietly go to my room. She complied obediently before gathering up her doll and telling me she'd be on my bed. As she began walking away, I wiped down the table and chucked the remains of my food into the bin. Alma hadn't finished her dinner, and I was no longer hungry as nerves had taken over, so I kept her bowl and spoon on the side so I could give it to her when I went back to my room.