Chapter 26

Nora Johannes

"Are you gonna call him, sweetheart?" Charlotte asked me gently, looking at me with her motherly eyes as one hand held the warm coffee mug and the other was draped comfortably across the couch. I shrugged, looking down at the soft pillows.

"I think so." I bit my lip. "I'm just nervous. What if he hates me? I-I just thought this was the best decision at the time. I still do, but I don't want him to hate me for it."

Charlotte smiled softly. "If Hero really hated you, do you think he'd still be blowing up your phone with all those sweet voicemails and text messages? I had a peep at some of the notifications when you were in the bathroom– I couldn't help it... but believe me, he does not hate you. And if he did, then he was not the one for you. A real man would never run away from his problems and hardships."

"Thanks, Charlotte." I smiled gratefully at her, thanking the heavens that I was able to meet her all those months ago and that Alma was able to live with her. It had been a day since everything and I went straight to her and Peter's house with tears streaming down my face and my heart beating wildly. I ended up spending the night and turned off my phone completely and Charlotte even took me out to the movies instead of school.

I never really got a chance to spend time with my actual mum and experience what a healthy mother-daughter relationship looked like– if it was anything like this, then I was much more envious than I ever thought.

Just as she opened her mouth to speak again, the front door was heard as it opened and closed just seconds later. Deep footsteps approached the living room until Ryan came into view, his whole body drenched in rain. "Hey aunt Charlie."

"Ryan!" She somewhat gasped, carefully putting her mug down to approach him. "You're absolutely soaked! Go and put your clothes in the wash and jump into the shower, I'll clean everything up."

"Are you sure?" He asked whilst being pushed away by her playfully swatting hands. "Let me just dry up and I'll come down and help you."

She shook her head. "No, no, you'll get sick. Just hop in the shower and I'll get everything sorted, not like I haven't done this before. Go on now!" Ryan smiled gratefully at her and attempted to jokingly hug her when she rolled her eyes and pushed him away, smiling to herself as he ran up the stairs to the bathroom.

"Can I help?" I offered, standing up from the couch to go and help her. She stopped me immediately.

"Definitely a no for you. You have to give that boyfriend of yours a call and get everything sorted. You're more than welcomed to stay the night– our guest bedroom is yours now." My heart warmed and I couldn't help but engulf Charlotte into a massive hug, squeezing her gratefully as she laughed and returned it with just as much passion. Minutes later I made my way up the stairs and into the bedroom, closing the door gently behind me. Alma has asleep in her room  so I didn't want to wake her up.

I plopped myself down onto the queen sized bed and grabbed my phone from the charger on the side table, unplugging it so it sat in front of me as I swiped it to log in. I clicked on the contacts app and searched for Hero's, hesitantly clicking on it before staring at his number.

I knew I could be here for ages if I didn't just do it– so I did it. I clicked on his number without a second thought and put him on speaker.

He answered hardly a second later. "Nora? Nora, is that you?"

"Hey... yeah, it's me."

He sucked in a breath. "Hi, baby. You have no idea how fucking good it feels to hear your voice again. I am so fucking sorry for the way I acted two days ago– I was a selfish dickhead who took out his anger on his girlfriend. You didn't deserve that at all. I am so, so sorry... please forgive me. Please come home. T-The house is too empty without you in it. I miss you."