Chapter 7

Nora Johannes

This was definitely not a good idea. Definitely, definitely not a good idea.

Mason stayed true to his promise for the whole day and stayed with me for break and lunch, where we were at right now. I didn't want to thank the two buff guys at break since I couldn't really find them anywhere, and I was still too nervous to approach them. But I couldn't drag it on until the end of the day and forced myself to thank them during lunch– except it wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be. Mason wasn't aware of what had happened and what I wanted to do, and the guys (all five of them) were sat at a table by themselves with intimidating expressions. Even Declan, who was the more relaxed out of the four others.

"Okay, spill, Nora." Mason's voice spoke out loud, and my head snapped up from my apple to his frowning lips and concerned eyes. "Why do you look so stressed? Your eyebrows have been crossed this entire time and you have a tiny pout on your lips. Did something happen? Are you still mad at me?"

I shook my head no. "No, no... I'm just thinking about something I have to do."

"Which is?" He seemed to relax now, knowing my strange mood wasn't his fault, and instead gave me his full attention with those big green eyes of his.

"Um, well, in psych today," I began, pushing the apple aside as it suddenly became distasteful to even look at. Mason frowned at that and pushed it back towards me, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning his forearms against the table. Mason knew I didn't eat because I never really had an appetite, but he refused to believe that was the truth. He even called me out for it a few months back, but I told him I was fine and his comment blew up into a massive argument. He didn't ask again after that. "Josephine just... snapped? I don't know. She saw me and-and said some words until Hero and Aj shouted at her."

"The fuck?" Mason said, sitting up straighter. "What the hell did she say to you? Did the teacher say anything?"

"Just stuff about my weight... it's okay though, nothing I'm not used to." I completely ignored her comment about calling me a slut and implicating that I was one, knowing that Mason would only explode and go on a rampage. He hated Slate and his entire group with a passion, not only because of the bullying I got, but because he was overall just a bad persons with bad morals. "But, um, the teacher made her stay after class and made her do difficult questions. That's probably why she isn't here."

My voice was quiet and my shoulders were hunched as I leaned against the table, and Mason's expression looked stormy and incredibly annoyed.

I think our position is what caused this next... scene.

"Nora?" A familiar voice says, making me turn around to see Declan standing there with a frown on his face. "Why do you look so sad? Are you okay, what's wrong?" He stormed me with questions and bent down to stand next to me where I was sat on the chair, then turned to Mason to glare at him meanly. "Are you the so called best friend who left her at the party? By herself? Because I have a whole bunch of fucking words I want to tell yo–," My eyes widen as I turn and face Declan fully, shaking my head insistently.

Mason glared back. "Yeah, and I apologised to her an uncountable amount of times. I know what I fucking did wrong. Who the hell are you anyways?"

"I'm the guy who's wondering why the fuck you're making this girl upset–," He begins to stand up, and that's when I quickly stand up to and shake my head, gently pushing him back before this blew up to become something completely unnecessary. When I stood up, my eyes went to the back of Declan when I noticed the rest of the guys were walking this way. Really? Why me? Of all people?

"Stop, Declan, please." I whispered, looking around at the rest of the canteen where other people were already staring. "I forgave him already a-and people are starting to stare. Please stop." Declan finally looked at my panicked face and nodded slowly, apologising quietly to me as I hid my face in my hands and sat back down on the table. When I uncovered my eyes, I saw that the rest of the guys– including Hero, who stared at me intensely– were sat around the table that was usually completed by just Mason and I.