Chapter 17

Nora Johannes

Today was Wednesday. Two days after the CPS had come over and taken a look into the house and my life.

In all honesty, everything has just been going as normal as usual.

Minus a few things.

Hero and I weren't as close anymore. I probably shouldn't say much, since it has only been two days since we last really talked and three days after that amazing night, but I could just tell things we're off between us– certainly nothing like before. Gone was his hand that used to rest on the bottom of my back, or the arm he'd sling across my shoulder, or how he'd occasionally play with a strand of my hair during class: Hero was keeping his distance.

I didn't want to admit this, because I knew it'd hurt more just having it confirmed, but I guessed it was all because of the visit done by the CPS on Sunday. Hero took one big look into the reality of my life and what would come if he and I ever progressed our 'relationship' and decided it was too much to handle. But I wasn't mad. I wasn't allowed to be.

Because Alma and I were still living in his house, under his roof, I didn't say anything. I kept my mouth shut no matter the times where I got disappointed that he was so blatantly separating himself from me. Then again– maybe I was just being dramatic. We still talked, as usual, just without being so close to each other. And our conversations lessened and lessened each day 'til they lasted only ten minutes maximum. And even that was rare. Usually it was five.

"Nora? You okay, honey?"

My eyes snapped away from the register I was blankly staring at and turned to Amelia who's concerned eyes were looking into mine. Instantly feeling guilty for not doing my job, I nodded weakly and smiled apologetically at her. "Sorry, Amelia, I've been getting so distracted lately."

She smiled softly. "Don't apologise, Nora, I was your age once– don't forget that! How about you take a short break and cool yourself down with some water. Hm?"

"No, no." I start by saying, standing up straight as I brushed away the invisible dust on my apron. "That's alright. Honestly. I'm just zoning out 'cause of stress but I'm back on track now. In fact, I see a dirty table over there– I'll go clean it up and distract myself. Sorry again, Amelia."

I scurried off before she could say anything further, which would just make me even more guilty than before, and grabbed a tray just before I reached the table. I began to pile up dishes from the four-seater and stacked two of the cups together, doing the other two once I had a stable grip. My mind was still distracted but I forced myself to push those thoughts away since I knew I couldn't be off track during work. Especially not around Amelia or Marco, who've shown nothing but kindness and generosity every time I'm working.

Time passed by fairly quickly and I had already taken my usual thirty-minute break to finish up some last minute homework, with only an hour left of work. It was when the clock had announced that thirty minutes had gone by when three tall men and one woman entered the restaurant and was directed to a nearby booth. One of my co-workers had guided them there then hurriedly walked towards me.

"Sorry to ask this, Nora, but could you cover that table for me? I really have to use the bathroom and then meet my boyfriend outside– only for a few minute, I promise. We're in this stupid argument and he's too stubborn to wait." Tia explained to me, making me already feel apologetic.

Tia was a college student who had been working at the restaurant for almost as long as me. We often talked whenever we were on breaks because we shared the same schedule and thus I knew all about her boyfriend– while I was still unaware of his name (not on purpose, just because it's never actually been brought up), I knew all about his impatient and possessive attitude. But not in the way where he was isolating her and being over-controlling: they were honestly the cutest couple by the way she described them together.