Chapter 9

Nora Johannes

Mr Cormick looked so drained and tired of this class. "Both of you. Outside, right now."

Hero didn't bother to reply with a snarky comeback and grumpily made his way outside of the classroom, leaving me standing there with a nervous expression. Just as I was about to persuade Mr Cormick not to think irrationally and give me a detention, he narrowed his eyes at me and pointed straight towards the door. "I'll be there in a few minutes. Don't go anywhere." This was even better; I'd be left outside with Hero.

Grumpily making my way out and past my table, I pushed the door open and saw Hero leaning against the lockers which were directly opposite the classroom. As I wanted to avoid him as much as possible, I stayed right next to the door and leaned against the wall in hopes that he wouldn't approach me.

Like that would ever happen.

"Nora, please listen to me." Hero said frustratedly, now standing in front of me as I tried my best to not look at his face. I was never really one to hold grudges (unless I hated the person) and I wasn't really sure why I was still acting so petty towards him. "Let me apologise. I know what I did wrong."

I bit my lip, and finally looked up. "Do you, Hero? Was me getting mad at you in the car not enough?"

"I'm an asshole. A dick. I know, and I should've left it alone, but– Nora, I have a... a feeling I know where that fucking bruise came from and it wasn't from Slate. I'm not trying to pry into your life but I want to fucking help you–,"

"You want to help me?" I said, now furrowing my eyebrows and frowning at him. "Help me by not asking questions. You don't think I get that already from everyone else? From all the teachers? If you wanted to apologise, you should be asking to start over, not to help me with something that isn't even freaking happening!"

He sighed, closing his eyes temporarily before opening them and nodding. "Okay. Okay, fuck– I'm sorry, and I want to start over. Can we start over? I'll keep my mouth shut and I won't bother you or some shit."

"Promise?" I couldn't help it. I just wanted that little bit of confirmation, because no matter how annoyingly persistent Hero could be, he was super sweet to Alma and I knew she liked him. Plus: behind all that swearing and the grumpy look on his face, he seemed like a big ol' sweetheart.

He nods. "Swear on it." With this, he raises his hand out to shake mine as if signalling for a truce which I shyly take. We shake hands, his entire hand way larger then mine, before parting and turning our heads to see Mr Cormick standing there with raised eyebrows and his arms crossed over his chest. "Have you both resolved this petty little argument?" How did he even know we were arguing?

"Um... yeah, we have." I reply shyly, tucking a hair behind my ear as Mr Cormick stares right at Hero who looks unbothered as ever. "I'm mainly talking about Hero over here. Are you both dating or something? Is that why he looked so angry?" Okay, jeez, definitely wasn't expecting my psychology to be this nosy.

My face turned red as Hero glared at the teacher, clearly not caring that he was a superior. "The hell?" Hero grumbled.

Mr Cormick snorts, as if this was the funniest thing ever. "You were glaring at the poor girls head the entire time and then you sat right behind her? Whatever, just make sure you resolve whatever you have going on here before coming into class. Now head back in, both of you, before I rethink a punishment!"

The two of us head back inside with the teacher trailing not far behind us, leaving us to travel back to our original seats. Thankfully the games continued like how they were supposed to and we all got notes written down to talk about next class– maybe my day could be turned back around.