Chapter 23

Nora Johannes

"Now pour the sauce in."

"Which sauce?"

"The one in your hands."

"... But I don't like tomato sauce."

"Wha–," I paused my stirring and turned around, "Then why are we making spaghetti bolognese?"

Hero pouted. "I thought that was just... meat sauce! Not tomato sauce!"

"Oh my god, Hero." I put my palm to my forehead and shook my head, putting my utensil down as I took the can from him and poured it into the pot. "Have you never eaten bolognese before? Ever? And it's too late now, we can't just change the recipe after all our hard work."

"But... but I don't like tomato sauce."

This was taking the exact wrong turn that I thought it'd take. Just hours before Hero and I were lounging on my bed, cuddling as per usual, when we both decided that we were hungry and so we googled meals to eat when the spaghetti recipe showed up and we both went along with that. The sauce was from scratch, though not the noodles, and since the recipe called for a lot more extra ingredients this took a lot longer than usual. Even though Hero was supposed to be the better cook- I guess he just dumbed himself down for me.

I walked up to him, stood up on my toes, and kissed his lips lightly. "Sorry! You're just going to have to deal with it this time." Hero huffs but doesn't complain, moving over to sit on the kitchen stool to watch me as I went back over and stirred the pot. Ten minutes flew by after that and our food was now served neatly on our plates, a cool glass of water next to it.

"You like it?" I ask once Hero had taken his first bite out of the pasta and swallowed it down. He grins at me and nods, leaning over slightly to kiss my forehead.

"It's good." He comments. "I thought I didn't like tomato sauce but I guess I do."

Smiling, I nod contently and dig into my food, occasionally putting my utensils down to take a sip of my water. I begin talking casually with Hero who was halfway through his meal already and would no doubt be finished within the next couple of minutes and probably onto his next serving. Today had 'marked' a week after the whole drugging incident and Hero's dad managed to take care of it all so, in his words, I wouldn't have to worry about the adult stuff. Like dealing with the police.

Obviously I had been questioned by them the day after being back home but it was nothing scary. They just asked for a run down on what happened, if I had seen him before with anyone else, and a bunch of other random questions. Luckily no one else had been drugged too and the police assumed it was because the party was only an hour and a half in and Jack probably wanted to blend in first. Sophia also informed them about his name and profile so they had taken him in straight away. He was now dealing with all the legal issues, and honestly, I wanted nothing to do with it. That's why I was so grateful for Hero's dad.

"The boys were planning on going bowling later tonight, baby." Hero wiped his mouth with the napkin, "They asked if we were in. Wanna go?"

I smiled, "Of course. What time did you want to leave the house?"

"Maybe four forty-ish? One more thing, though... Cliff invited Sophia to come with 'cause her parents are outta' town. Would that be okay with you?" I frowned at that and stared at him weirdly. Why wouldn't I be okay with that? Come to think of it, I didn't have any female friends, mainly because I was so socially awkward at school and nobody else really made an effort to talk to me.