Chapter Four: Class Beginnings

Author's Note: I'm writing Shota Aizawa as the teacher, mainly because I don't know much about any of the other teachers at this point. I know it's unlikely that he would actually be her teacher, but he's the only one I know how to write. Thanks for understanding! <3

     She glossed her hand over her braid and pushed the huge door open. Chatter died down almost instantly as heads turned to watch the tall girl gently shut the door. Those wide-eyed glares were really welcoming. It felt like they were staring straight at her bones. She shivered slightly, struggling to keep a straight face instead of wincing under their gaze. 

     "Fashionably late, I see," he mumbled, and turned towards the class. A soreness welled up in her throat, but he stopped her before she could apologize. "Class, these are the new transfer students from America." He introduced the students one by one, stopping at her last.

     She stood still for a second, then bowed respectfully at the class. "Thanks. It's...nice to meet you," she said, unintentionally fumbling over her words when her eyes met those of someone she'd seen in the previous year's U.A. Sport's Festival--a really cute guy with cobalt-blue hair.

     She'd made a point to re-watch the festival several times before class, trying to learn the styles of all the students still in the course. He hadn't even made it through the first round, but she'd caught a glimpse of him on camera. She really wanted to know what his quirk was, since she'd never seen it in action.

     "Take a seat, please. Class should have already started," the teacher muttered in his monotone voice.

     With a tight-lipped nod, she scooted her way between desks and sat down in a vacant seat in the back most row, just behind and to the left of the cobalt-haired boy. It was lucky that she had good eyes, because it certainly wasn't easy to see from back here.  She tucked her bag inside her desk after pulling out her notebook and pen, both of which were covered in cat stickers.

     "You can put your things back now," he said. "Go put on your costumes. We're going to the Unforeseen Simulation Joint for some battle and rescue practice." Several students jerked up their heads, looked at one another, then shrugged and started putting their stuff away.

     Lovette squinted her eyes, confusion spread all over her face. What on earth was this teacher doing? She knew U.A. had some weird teachers, but they were doing battle training on the first day? Was he out to get the poor transfer students or something? They had no idea what to expect, so if he threw a curve ball at them they would just have to roll with it.

    "He say go put on cotsume," the cobalt-haired guy turned to her, trying to explain in broken English. "Understand?"

     "Hmm?" She asked, then understood. He was trying to translate for her! Everybody assumed the American transfer students couldn't speak Japanese, even if they actually could. "Yes, I understand. Thank you," she replied quietly in English, standing up and making her way into the mass of students trying to file out of the door.

                                              ✩̣̣̣̣̣ͯ┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩ͯ•͙͙✧⃝•͙͙✩ͯ┄•͙✧⃝•͙┄✩̣̣̣̣̣ͯ

     Their teacher sighed, as if their mere existence was a burden on him. "Get into pairs. We're doing some battle training since we have some new students. I want to see if they actually have any potential."

     Lovette took a deep breath, grinding her teeth slightly. Did this guy have it out for them or something? She was one of the four transfer students they'd brought in to even out the class number to twenty. He wanted to see if they had potential, huh? What was he going to do if they didn't? Throw them out the day they came in?

     The crisp breeze ruffled the fur on her tail and whipped any stray hairs that had worked their way out of her braid. The sun beat down through the glass ceiling inside a huge building he'd called the Unforeseen Simulation Joint. She'd heard of it before, since it was the site of a villain attack against class 1-A almost three years prior.

     She felt a poke on the back of her arm and whipped her head around, her eyes meeting the gaze of the cobalt-haired boy. A small gasp escaped her lips as she turned to face him, looking down a good several inches. She felt like a giant compared to him, even though he was actually fairly tall in comparison to the rest of the class.

     "You would like to be partner?" He asked in English, tripping over his words slightly.

      She blinked, and a big grin lit up her face. "Sure, I'll be your partner!" To be honest, she wasn't expecting anybody to approach her, since she was probably intimidating.

      He nodded, but didn't have a chance to say anything else before the teacher began speaking again.

     "We're having a type of Battle Royale," Aizawa said, motioning towards the huge space behind him filled with different types of environment zones. "The last team still standing at the end wins. You take down other teams by capturing these." He held up a bright neon yellow scarf-like band that attached using Velcro. "One person out means both of you are."

     Thirteen--a pro hero that did a lot of rescue missions--stepped up, giving a short speech on using quirks safely.

     Aizawa nodded as the speech drew to a close, passing out the last scarf to the students. "Thanks. Now, choose your partners wisely. You have two minutes before it starts."

     Lovette turned to her partner, who had been doing his best to translate the speech for her. It was so sweet and thoughtful of him to do. She didn't want to mess it all up and seem awkward just by telling him she could understand almost everything. "Your name was Taichi Honda, correct?"

     He nodded and grinned. "You do research on me?"

     She chuckled softly, dragging her foot on the ground. "I saw you on the last U.A. sport's festival."

     "Ah, I see. And what your quirk?"

     "If I bite people, they turn into wolves," she muttered. "And, I can order them around to an extent. I can turn into a wolf, too."

     "Oh, that good for getting people out!" He motioned, mimicking snatching someone's neckband.

     She nodded with a smile. "I guess so."

     "We work in Ruin Zone, yes? Good for my quirk," he said, examining her facial expressions.

     "Sure, that's good with me." She agreed with an emphatic nod, adjusting the strap of her messenger bag on her shoulder. "Do you have a plan or strategy, or you just like to wing it?"

     "Wing it?" He squinted. "No, no. We go to Ruin Zone and we fight there."

     She nodded again, trying to signal that she understood. "That's fine. But do you have a plan for getting us there? Oh, and I forgot to ask you what your quirk was--"

     "And...go." The teacher commanded, his voice only slightly louder than usual.

     Lovette whipped her head around, just in time to catch the students booking it for their preferred zones. "Agh!" She broke into a run, but slowed to a stop when a hand grabbed her arm.

     "No, no! I take you to Ruin Zone," he said, pulling her towards himself and grabbing her other arm at the wrist. A brief smile passed over his lips before what looked like metal plates covered his face.

     She jerked her hands back, but before she could do anything else it was over. He had transformed into a motorcycle. One that she was already sitting on.

     She could feel the rumble of the engine as it revved loudly. With a squeal, she clutched onto the handlebars. "What the--?!"

     A blue screen flashed on in front of her, resting in between the handlebars. A little smiley face popped up for a moment before the engine revved again. The kickstand popped up without her doing anything, and the second she lifted her feet off the ground it took off...

     Straight for the stairs.