rant 1 (that female-empowerment scene in endgame)

We all know that scene in Avengers: Endgame when Carol gets the gauntlet from Peter Parker and then is joined by the majority of Marvel's female heroes to help her get the stones safely to Scott's van

And I love that scene.

Sure, it was definitely obvious that Marvel was making a point with adding a bunch of powerful women to show some woman power and could have made it less conspicuous. However, I think the scene was perfectly executed. It got me excited when they started dropping in the shot and stood protectively in front of Peter. They looked dangerous and I knew they meant business. 

Some people found this scene cringe-worthy because it was obvious that it was supposed to be a woman-empowerment moment. I think this might partly be because most scenes of powerful superheroes banding together are dominantly male, so it was very noticeable when it was just women—which leads me to my next point.

Why is this scene seen as a feminist scene? It's just a bunch of women sharing the screen for a few seconds before running off to kick some butt. If I recall correctly, wasn't there a scene that lasted more than just a few seconds where it was only men fighting Thanos by themselves? Why wasn't that scene as controversial as the "feminist" one? It's because fight scenes with powerful women are not normal. If a woman starts to fight in a movie it automatically turns into a woman-empowerment scene.

So I watched Endgame with my (semi-sexist) dad recently and he thought the scene when all the women came together was just thrown in to please the feminists. I just want to know why a man can't enjoy a scene where a man isn't the focus of a battle. The majority of women have no trouble enjoying a scene with a man who is kicking butt. We haven't even had a female-led movie until Captain Marvel. I've watched like twenty Marvel films that revolved around men and I still enjoyed them. I just want to know why it's so hard when the roles are reversed.

My dad said that Hollywood just throws in some feminist propaganda to stay relevant. Sometimes this is true, yes, but even if it were true for Endgame I still think the scene was inspiring for young girls watching. Heck, it was inspiring for me and I'm almost eighteen. I have to admit that it's nice to see action scenes that aren't just a bunch of men. Don't twist my words though, because I obviously love many male superheroes. As much as I enjoy watching them in battle, though, I don't just want to see them. The women of Marvel are just as good as they are and deserve more screen time.