rant 5 (Christianity & The Environment)

Okay so the title might sound very random but I recently had a conversation (mostly one-sided) about Christian beliefs pertaining to the state of our planet

What inspired this rant was a conversation I had with my dad last week. We were just coming home from church and we were talking about who knows what. I don't know how we got to this topic, but we were talking about how different companies and such are trying to be more eco-friendly. Obviously, I'm all for that.

My dad, however, isn't. He was talking about how "the democrats want to outlaw cows because their farts are contributing to the damage of the environment." I doubt anyone is looking to outlaw cows simply because they pass gas, just like every other living creature in our earth. I don't know, my dad likes to go on tangents and was talking about how people who believe that the earth needs to be protected are dumb or whatever. Anyways, what got me the most was when I said that I care about the environment, he responded that "you'd have to be an atheist if you're going green." I just stopped and was mentally like "um excuse me" because did he really just call me an atheist?

First of all, I'd like you all to know that I have a strong relationship with God and that I whole-heartedly believe that God sent Jesus down to earth to die on a cross for our sins. I go church every Sunday, I've been on mission trips, I go to youth group every week, I wrote speeches for my speech class about my beliefs. . . and he called me an atheist?

(By the way that wasn't me bragging in that last paragraph, and just because you do that stuff doesn't mean you're a Christian unless you believe that God sent Jesus down to earth to die on a cross for our sins, I'm just saying it definitely doesn't look like I'm an atheist by any means.)

The conversation stopped there because I hate arguing and stuff, plus once you disagree with my dad he takes it as a challenge to prove you wrong, so I decided to just shut up.

I'm only bringing this conversation up because it leads me into this rant, which is: Christianity & the environment.

I'm only eighteen and I'm still living and learning so I don't know everything obviously, but I do know that caring about our planet, the one God designed specially for us, needs to be protected and respected. Us dumping all our trash into landfills probably isn't the best way to do this.

Also, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Australia and California are literally on fire. I'm pretty sure God would want us to stop the fires.

I went to Hawaii last summer with my mom and my sister. While we were there, we drove by a large expanse of land that was burned. There were helicopters flying overhead with water to put it out. It stretched for miles. We also drove by some large areas of land that were recovering from recent fires.

The fires are destroying the beautiful earth God created. We need to protect and respect it. Trying to use less plastic, using eco-friendly products, and supports environmental causes doesn't automatically mean you're an atheist. It just means that you care about what God created for us.