rant 10 (a continuation of rant 9)

So a lot has happened since my last rant; I've been educating myself on Black Lives Matter, the virus is getting whack, I'm preparing for college, and the Washington Redskins are getting a new logo and name (FINALLY! If you remember, I talked about the issue with the Washington Redskins in my rant about mascots and racism).

My dad is still against Black Lives Matter, that much hasn't changed. However, I have stopped remaining silent whenever he brings it up. Sometimes I let it slide because it's not an appropriate time for the discussion (my little brother's birthday party, my graduation party, etc.). But I don't stay silent all the time anymore!

Since my last rant, the Black Lives Matter movement has only grown. J.D. Grier, one of my dad's favorite pastors/Christian speakers, announced that he supports BLM. My dad wasn't exactly happy about that. He claims that since J.D.'s church he preaches at has a congregation with a high percentage of African Americans that J.D. felt pressured. He can't just accept the fact that there are Christians who support BLM.

After that, my neighbor Jeremie (a guy who was on my Haiti missions team and goes to our church) gave my dad a hard time because he knows that my dad is a huge J.D. Grier guy. Jeremie doesn't support BLM either, obviously. He thought my dad would stop listening to J.D. now because of the pastor's statement, and although my dad was torn, he decided to overlook it. He told Jeremie that J.D. just felt pressured by the black population of his congregation.

So a few arguments with my dad pass and he still doesn't support BLM. He thinks it's all a conspiracy by the left to get Trump out of office.

But then get this: Last Sunday, our church's pastor (Daniel, a white redhead) acknowledged white privilege in the justice system. He didn't even say Black Lives Matter or anything. Pastor Daniel even called some cops lovely. All he did was mention the privilege white people have compared to black people in the justice system.

And my dad was livid.

Well, he said he was just upset, but I know him. He was mad.

The thing is, my dad used to hold Pastor Dan up on a pedestal. He agreed with everything he said and emailed him about how good of a pastor he was. Pastor Dan takes risks in his sermons to get the truth of the Gospel out to people.

It was surprising to say the least when he mentioned white privilege in the justice system. The majority of his congregation are either middle class or upper class white folks, so my dad couldn't just claim that he felt pressured by his congregation to say something.

My dad loved Pastor Dan. He compared all other pastors to him. Now, however, he is pissed.

My dad said that it's just sad to have a pastor believe that the justice system is racist.

I think it's sad to have a dad who is blind to his own privilege and the brokenness of the justice system.

Anyway

Thanks for reading my rant lol. I've come to realize that this book is like a public diary where I vent some of my frustrations. I've also realized that the majority of my rants are about my parents.

Oops.