rant 6 (Hallmark Movies)

I don't like Hallmark movies because they are cringey and all of them are the same, but that's not why I'm ranting

The reason why I am ranting today is because all of the movies are so white.

Having white leads in a movie is not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but it is definitely a problem when there are almost no Hallmark movies with a lead who is not white.

Six out of the eighty-six Hallmark movies have a lead who is not one hundred percent white (that's like 93% only white leads). Also, of those six movies with a non-white lead, only 3 actresses played the leads. One is half-white and half-Iranian, one is from Argentina, and one is Hispanic. While there is nothing wrong with these ethnicities, I can't help but notice that not a single one is black or Southeast/East Asian.

Apparently the ceos and producers are aware of their lack of ethnic diversity and claimed that they see the problem and are planning on making steps in the right direction. DUDE. Just release a movie with the two leads being poc for once. I don't like this "taking steps" thing. Just do it. We aren't living in the 1960s anymore when many people believed that the right way to change discrimination and segregation in the United States in the 50s and 60s was by taking small steps, but people like MLK and Rosa Parks took LEAPS, not baby steps.

It's like Hallmark is just scared that the white moms watching the 21 says til Christmas countdown special will get upset that there is a black woman falling in love and being loved on screen. Personally, I know that if my mom (who LOVES Hallmark movies) was watching one and the lead was a black woman, she would be disappointed and probably watch something else because she couldn't "relate" to the woman or something.

Think about how a black woman might feel as she watches Hallmark movies. Or an Asian woman. Or any woman of any other ethnicity. Having main characters and love interests that are white is excluding a large audience. Maybe the reason why the majority of their audience are white moms is because there are only white women being represented?

Anyways, that's all folks. Thanks for reading my rants :)