Chapter 1: King Of My Castle

Static comes through my headset, then the beeping of Morse code.

"Today marks the ninth month of peace between the warring factions across the United Kingdom," The reporter says. "The Minister for Recovery, Sigrid Hakkinen, issued a statement today expressing her satisfaction with the current ceasefire and hopes that peace talks regarding a final settlement will soon resume."

Sam scoffs. "Ha. Peace talks."

"Sam," Maxine hisses. "We need to hear if it's today!"

"Well, all I'm saying is she wouldn't know peace talk if a dove wearing a white poppy stabbed her in the eye with an olive branch."

I bite my lip to keep from snickering.

"Zombie movements today are erratic," The reporter continues. "Sectors 7 through 12 should not attempt any non-essential journeys. The wall remains unbreached. The train service through the demilitarized zone will continue to operate for key personnel only."

"Have we heard anything from Lobatse?" Nicole asks.

"No," Sam answers, "not since she told us it might be today. Too dangerous to send more intel, I guess. Ellie Maxted's been working with the Laundry, but even so, it's hard to get information out."

"So, what? If it's not today, Singer and her crew are gonna have to wait until dark in London and then come home?"

"Have to," Jody answers, and Nicole sighs. "We only get one shot at this."

"Yes, I know. I was the one who helped you iron out this plan, remember?"

"And we've just received news from the Minister of a late breaking story," The reporter says. "We go live now to the Minister herself, Sigrid Hakkinen."

There's a faint click, then the shouting of the crowds. It's so loud in my headset. The sound echoes, the faintness of it from where I'm standing contrasting greatly to its volume in my headset.

"After a closed trial, Jaime Skeet, formerly King Jaime of the United Kingdom, has been sentenced to death for crimes against the British people," Sigrid says.

"Death to traitors!" A spectator shouts, making the runner beside me clench his fists.

"Skeet's outrages, treachery and lies have been without parallel. He has collaborated with enemy agents. He has attempted to corrupt the people with vile propaganda. He has withheld information from the people's agencies and committees." She pauses for a drumroll. "As the sun sets, I sentence you to death by firing squad, Skeet, to be carried out summarily as the true justice of the people. And may God have mercy on your soul."

The drumroll continues. My breath hitches.

"Ready? Aim. Fire!"

I flinch at the sound of gunshots, and the loud roar of the crowds as they chant 'Death to traitors.'

"That's your cue, Runners," Sam says. "You've got thirty minutes until Jaime's coffin hits the incinerator. You have to rescue Jaime, and your targets in the move. Head along that roof, and over to the next building. Run!"

I look over to the runner beside me. "Ready, Runner Eight?"

Milo grins. "Ready."

We run.

Our footsteps echo across the rooftop in sync, and I smile softly at the soon-to-be sixteen-year-old beside me. It took a lot of convincing to get Jody to let him go in his mission, since he technically isn't of runner age just yet, but I was able to talk her into it. He's been doing well these past nine months. He's been training and he's made sure to keep at a steady time.