Chapter 56: Church Bells

I stare at myself in the mirror, taking in a shaky breath.

A white gown covers my body, the same dress I chose only two months ago. My hair is pinned back, a white veil pinned in place, but not yet pulled forward to cover my face. My lips are stained red, my eyes having a simple mix of brown shadows and winged eyeliner and mascara. Jody managed to find some blush for me, and it has just a bit of shimmer to make me sparkle.

"Are you ready?" Nicole asks. Her face holds the smallest of smiles, contrast to the faces of the other bridesmaids I have surrounding me. They are beaming with joy. Their happiness for me makes me want to cry. I don't deserve friends like them.

I open my mouth, but I can't seem to get the words to come out. Nervousness washes over me in waves, making my stomach turn and my chest tighten. Questions and anxieties I know shouldn't exist pop into my mind. I know I'm enough. I know this is enough. I know Sam loves me and is eagerly waiting for the ceremony to begin.

But still I wonder.

"Callista." Jody reaches out and puts a hand on my shoulder, and I tense. "It's okay."

"Yeah, yeah," I say shakily. "I know."

"Don't tell me you're actually having cold feet," Nadia says, looking shocked. I shake my head quickly.

"No! No, no, of course not. I just... I'm nervous."

She shrugs. "It's a wedding in an apocalypse. No one's expectations are that high anyways, so you don't need to worry about anything going on."

"Thanks," I deadpan, but then take in a deep breath and look around at all of them.

They're all wearing their bridesmaids' dresses. You can't even tell they were altered by a nonprofessional. I feel a sense of pride knowing I was able to alter them correctly, as well as make two small dresses using the extra teal fabric for the babies. They look adorable.

I let out another breath, knowing it's almost time. I grab my dress, lifting it up as best as I can, since it is more of a tighter fit, and head out of the room. They follow me as I walk down the hallway. I wonder if they can hear my heart thrumming in my chest.

I come to a stop just before reaching the large oak doors, which are closed, concealing the room the ceremony is to take place in. Tom, Peter and Milo are all waiting, along with Janine who is meant to open the doors and give the orchestra the signal to start playing.

"Wow, Five, I must say, you clean up nice," Peter says in a slightly joking manor. I shrug, smiling despite my nerves and giddiness.

"Well, I'd like to think so for a day like this."

I watch as the they take their places. Tom is in front, taking Jody's arm; Peter is next, with Summer beside him; Milo will be pushing Nadia's wheelchair down the aisle, and Nicole will walk alone. Maxine and Paula grab the little baskets of flower petals, thankfully not giving them to the girls right away. Since there were no boys we wanted to be the ring bearer, Bonnie, Runner Seven's dog, has them attached to her collar. It was Sam's idea. He begged me and I couldn't say no.

I watch, Janine opening the door a tad to see if it's time. A part of me longs to sneak a peek, to see Sam there, waiting at the alter that we built just for this day, but my feet stay planted where they are. Janine's blue eyes shift to me, and she nods.

I return the gesture. Milo takes a step forward and helps me lift the veil over my face before getting back into position. Stepping out of sight, Janine swings the doors open, catching the attention of everyone in the room, and the music begins to play.

One by one the bridesmaids and groomsmen go through the door, walking down the aisle with a calmness I wish I had. I watch as they all go through, then Maxine and Paula with the babies. They dump both baskets over as soon as Maxine and Paula give them to them, a large clump of petals there in one spot. Bonnie goes after them, trotting down the aisle like she's the star of today's show. It's cute.