Chapter 44: On My Mind

It takes longer than I thought it would to get a shower.

Once Paula and I got back to Abel, Janine called for a meeting in her farmhouse. Maria was able to get her and her baby cleaned up and dried off when they arrived, but Paula and I did not receive such luxuries. Janine received word that Sigrid has sent off her invasion plans to her trusted generals, and now we have to find a way to figure out just what those plans are.

The meeting was dull and much too long for my liking. I grew tired of Janine's voice about ten minutes in. She mostly just talked to Jody and made some calls to Amelia, trying to find out if there were any events in the settlements Sigrid's generals resided in to sneak in and get what we needed.

Neither Janine nor Amelia were happy to hear about the babies and their lack of Junin2 vaccinations. I could hear it in Amelia's voice, and I could see the subtle fire that sparked in Janine's eyes. She's good at holding back her rage. Some of the other runners were a bit more vocal. Even Nicole looked disgusted at hearing this.

At the A.M.T.B., they were at least decent enough to keep us vaccinated and somewhat healthy. But they also didn't take babies. So, I guess they aren't as terrible as Sigrid.

But we've come up with a plan, something to do with the Pit Viper assassin breaking into a general's house or office or something after Dr. Kitnis talked about which places she know has less security. I didn't really listen. I just know I'm not going to be the one doing it.

I was actually pretty shocked, but then again, we don't know where or when these plans will be received. Sigrid's not stupid enough to send things via transmission. That could easily be intercepted. No, she's taking the long route, paper trail.

I wasn't exactly happy I wasn't assigned to this, but they did want me to to take a longer break. I know Sam was happy with the final decision.

But once the meeting ended, I made sure to grab an umbrella and a change of clothing and head for the showers. Compared to the water outside, this water is burning. Still, I let the water run over my skin. I've already washed my body and hair. I just don't want to get out yet.

So I sit here in silence. I don't want to think about this-what we've just learned about the babies and Sigrid. It just makes me angry. I'm so tired of being angry and having nothing that I can do to stop it.

Veronica's already made it very clear that she can't make a vaccine for the babies because she's too busy trying to perfect that stupid earpiece for me. We hope it, along with meditation and breathing exercises will help strengthen my mind enough to stop Moonchild. I have a session with Kytan scheduled for tomorrow morning. They seem to be going on well enough. I didn't hit him when we had our first one, even though I really wanted too. It's progress in my book.

With a sigh I push myself up and turn off the water, and the sounds of water hitting tile is swallowed by silence. I can hear the rain outside if I strain.

I dry off and change into my nightgown, wondering if I should have waited to change or something. Even with the umbrella I'm sure I'm going to get wet. But I thankfully brought rainboots with me, so I can leave my running shoes in here to dry before I come back to clean them. I'm just glad they're not ruined, even if they are distrusting.

Finding good shoes these days is like trying to find a good sports bra-a bitch and a half.

Once I have my rainboots and umbrella ready, I leave. I don't want to keep Sam waiting, although he might be at the hospital talking to Maria and Selma. He likes talking to other immune people, it makes him feel like he isn't alone. Being different, even when it's beneficial, can be hard.