Chapter 2: Resentment

Within the throne room of the palace, red paper lanterns struggle to repel the shadows of the high-ceilinged hall. Only three souls remain in the vast chamber; two boys in their Purger uniforms, each kneeling on one knee, their heads lowered as a sign of deep respect for their Emperor, their Father.

Before the pair is a flight of steps leading to an elevated platform, and in the centre is an ornately decorated throne with an equally beautiful slab behind, the golden dragon carvings from both structures flickering in the dim light.

Seated on the throne is a figure, though dressed in the same uniform as his subjects, wields an aura that almost seems divine in comparison to them. Although his appearances are just as youthful as the boys before him, the Purgers know better than to assume his real age through that alone.

"Ru didn't make it," the Purger on the left says solemnly. His name is Fong.

"Lang brought his corpse home," the Purger on the right adds. Tien is his name, and he's Fong's partner. "He ripped his own heart out before we could stop him, right before our very eyes."

The figure on the throne studies the Purger pair's features. Fong is gritting his teeth as the horrific scene replays itself in his mind again. Tien is trying to hide his pain, but the way his facial muscles is tensing says it all.

"It took us all by surprise. A horde of Seekers so deep within the Twilight Sector is unheard of," Tien says. "Father, please advise."

The title has always amused him. Few in this realm have ever addressed him by his real name: Kiin. After all, he's the one who took them from their biological parents since birth, just like all the other boys in the family. But as his title implies, the Purgers are like family to him, and it pains him deeply as well to know he's lost two more of his 'sons'.

"I'll send two elite Purger pairs to investigate," he says, leaning back on his throne. "I agree. For so many Seekers to be this far within human territory, it reeks of conspiracy." Then, he swallows. "And of course, give Ru and Lang a proper burial. We'll hold the funeral at the top of the Death Lotus Cliff tomorrow midnight. Let En handle the details."

"Yes, Father." With his head lowered, Fong peers at him. "Forgive my impudence, but may I know which pairs are the chosen ones?"

Kiin leans his face against his knuckles, picturing in his mind the reactions the pair is about to give him for his answer. "First, Yan and Zhe. Second, Song and Shu."

Both Fong and Tien jolt their heads up in shock, glaring at their leader as if he's gone mad. Well, he's always been mad, but this is beyond acceptable levels for them.

"Yan's team and Shu's? B-but..." Fong stammers.

Kiin smiles amusedly. This was the exact reaction he was waiting for. "Is there a problem with my choice, Fong?" he challenges. "Do you think they're not skilled enough?"

"N-no Father." Fong drops his head back down. "They're all extremely talented Purgers, some of the best we have."