Chapter 13: Long

"As you probably have guessed, when I said I was giving you a chance to kill me, it's a duel to the death." Kiin looks as confident as ever, as if he doesn't even see Song as worthy of posing as a threat to him. Seeing this only makes Song's blood boil even more.

As promised, Kiin has invited Song to the Hall of Final Transcendence to further discuss on the challenge. Within the massive throne room are ten of the Blossom's most experienced Purgers serving as an informal court to witness the process. Each Purger pair is kneeling at opposite sides, the five pairs forming a spacious isle for Song. None of them look particularly worried or sorry for him, and that's fine. Song expected as much anyway.

"There are three conditions you need to comply with if you wish to have an uninterrupted duel with me," Kiin says. "First, is that Shu does not interfere. Should that happen at any time in the fight, the other Purgers will deem you both as traitors and carry out judgement accordingly."

"Fine by me."

"Second: once the duel is accepted, you are not allowed to withdraw from it. Should you attempt to escape from the Palace before that date, or be absent on the day of the duel, you will be deemed as a traitor and be hunted down."

No turning back, huh? Song nods. "Fine."

"The final condition," Kiin continues, the authority never wavering from his tone. "Should you lose the duel, your partner will be deemed as a traitor regardless."

"What?" The word tumbles out of Song's lips. Kiin's words were like filthy fingers jamming down his throat, infecting his insides with the mucky feeling of horror. But almost immediately, anger burns the despair away. "You wretch! Shu knows nothing about this! Why must be held responsible for my actions?"

"Have you forgotten what it means to be part of a Purger pair already?" Kiin sighs. "If you don't wish for your partner to be involved, then show me you're more than just talk. Win, and the both of you can walk free."

Despicable. But... I don't have a choice. "Fine by me," Song says. "The Festival of Moons, that's when we'll do this."

"Poetic. It's rare, coming from you."

Song whirls around and storms towards the exit. The Festival of Moons... this was where it all began, and this will be where it ends.

***********************************************************************************************

As Song strolls along the walkway, the distant roars of the young Apprentices from the courtyard catches his attention. Under the sweltering hot sun, the young boys are in the midst of their martial arts drills. Seeing them reminds Song of his younger self, during his days as an Apprentice with Shu. Life was much tougher back then when they were thrown out of the Palace every night, and their schedules were much more strictly dictated by their instructors.

Do these boys even know what lies ahead of them? How many of them are going to die in the ritual? How many more are going to die in the missions assigned by Kiin? These boys are just like him- forced into a life of war against their will, with a partner they can't live without. How is this fair for any of them?