Two Rogues, One Siren

The Stabbington Brothers rummaged through the bard's pack. Two Wanted posters stood out in particular.

The Stabbington Brothers' faces stared up at them from the parchment.

"He knew," Patches said.

"Son of a bitch."

"What are the changes he's holed up by that cave entrance waiting for us to come out the other side to ambush us."

"Yeah. We need to be on our guard. Arm ourselves to the teeth. Unless the siren got 'im; that'd make things simpler."

"Well, until she gets us, too."

"True. We can't assume anything, though. For all we know he's in league with the siren."

His brother snorted.

"Stranger things have happened. Besides, they both sing songs."

"We're going to spend the rest of our lives suspecting every person who sings is in league with sirens, aren't we."

They both had a good laugh about that, to relieve the tension more than anything else. It didn't last, though. The walk through the forest to the secret passageway erased any good humor they had had. Eyes darting, shoulders tense, they passed through the dark passageway by the light of its glowing fungus and emerged in a picturesque valley.

The air was sweet and seemed to hum with life. Vibrant foliage grew all around them. The distant roar of rushing water was the only sound. No birds, no crickets. Odd.

Across the valley a tower stood like a pillar rising from the mists of a nearby waterfall. Nearer to them, under the watchful gaze of the tower stood a proud oak. It was overgrown with broad-leafed flowering vines.

And on a rock just a few paces from the shade of the tree lounged a woman, if indeed she could be called that. Her beauty was surreal, an inhuman beauty bordering on divinity.

A song flowed from her lips as she ran her fingers through her long blonde hair, the very picture of a siren, bathing in a river of gold. The long golden waves lay coiled loosely around her on the rock like the body of a snake sunning itself. Flowers were tucked in the waves, their pretty purple petals closed tightly but burgeoning as though caging something that desired to burst free.

Her breasts glittered in the morning sun. The light catching in their eyes. Rapt and filled with mingled awe and desire, the brothers watched the exquisite creature.

She made no indication she had seen them, but she continued to sing her haunting melody. As her voice grew stronger, so too did the coils wrapping around the brothers' minds, spiraling tighter, softening their will and filling them with need.

A crown graced the siren's head, the crystals catching the sunlight and casting prismatic flecks in all directions.

Patches nudged his brother and tilted his chin at the tiara resting atop her head.

"She has it," Patches said.

Barely able to process his words, Sidesburns nodded, and all too slowly his mind caught up with him. Realization dawned on his face, but he struggled to respond, and settled for a subtle nod. He didn't want to be talking with Patches. All he wanted to think about was the naked blonde maiden stretched out before them.

"You get the crown," whispered Patches. "I'll distract her."

This snapped Sideburns out of his daze.

"Like hell!"

Patches looked surprised.

"What?"