Be Careful What You Wish For

Alan stumbled into a dream. He didn't remember when the greenwood had fallen away, but now he stood in the middle of a stream. Exotic flowers lined the banks and a thick pink haze hung all around, glowing, seeming to pulse with every note of the siren song.

It was the cold water lapping at his thighs that brought him back to consciousness. He waded against the current toward the siren song, but progress was slow in his soaked breeches, so he removed them and let them float downstream.

The pink haze thickened into a billowing fog as he came nearer, the song growing stronger, its influence bending his mind with its sheer power. Desire flooded his body. His heart hammered, his soul sang in harmony with the siren, and he knew—he just knew he would be singing songs of her beauty for the rest of his life.

In the distance appeared a golden glow. Alan could feel the power emanating from it, could feel himself being drawn closer, unable to fight the pull of the song.

She lay bathing in a crystal pool. Her hair fell all around her and glowed a brilliant gold, the waves responding to her song with pulses of golden light. Purple flowers adorned her hair, and a pink cloud swirled from them.

Vines twisted around her body, accentuating her form as much as concealing it.

With a single glance, Alan knew he loved her.

She rose and moved smoothly toward him with her eyes locked on his like a predator fixated on its prey, ready to pounce, ready to devour.

"Hello, my love," she said.

"I ... I know you're a siren," Alan blurted.

Why had he said that?

"Aren't you astute," Rapunzel purred, and a puff of pink pollen washed over him. "And what if I am?"

He didn't have a response for that.

"I... came to find Flynn Ryder."

She tilted her head in thought.

"The name rings a bell."

"If you know where he is—if you know anything—just let me know and I'll be on my way."

"Oh, but what fun is that?"

"I..."

He looked confused.

"I don't know?"

Rapunzel laughed.

"Please. Just tell me, have you seen any man like this."

He pulled a wanted poster from his pack. She didn't even look at it.

"I'll tell you whatever you want to hear if you love to me."

"I-I can't," Alan stuttered, taken aback by her forwardness, "I'm pledged to another. We're to be wed in a month's time. After I find Flynn Ryder."

The long trail of her glowing golden waves wove in her wake in an ever-tightening spiral as she stalked around him.

"Just one kiss then?"

"I-I can't," Alan said, "My love is waiting for me back home."

"But how will you find this Flynn Ryder without my help?" she cooed, "Don't you want my help?"

"Y-yes?"

"Then kiss me," Rapunzel said.

Alan tried to refuse but he could feel his will slipping.

"She won't mind," said Rapunzel, and she pulled him closer, "It's just one kiss, isn't it?"

"But—"