006. imprint

006

IMPRINT

"there's something I have to tell you

"there's something I have to tell you..."

PAUL breathed in heavily, his face hardening as he thought of his next few words. His copper eyes stared into Bryony's alert and mossy ones.

His hold on her hands tightened, "what I'm about to tell you, doesn't change anything between us. The way I feel about you is real," he half smiled, "and I know the way you feel about me is real too."

Bryony shifted uncomfortably, her fingers starting to shake and scratch Paul nervously, "Paul," she mumbled, taking a cautious look around her, "you are scaring me."

He frowned, releasing her hands, Bryony looked like she could breathe again with the loss of contact, but she also looked colder than ever.

The golden haired girl bit her lip, anxious.

She watched as a pained look fell over Paul's features and he looked as if he had been wounded.

"I imprinted on you." He said finally. His eyes glowering with relief, but also worry.

Bryony placed a hand on her leg to stop it from shaking, and dared to look at Paul Lahote, "You what on me?" She managed to stumble out.

Paul repeated his sentence, grabbing ahold of the nearest object to stop him from getting over emotional, an empty bottle of beer.

Imprinted? Bryony only knew what that meant through biology - an innate response animals do when they're born, they usually imprint on their mother. She had no idea what Paul meant, but she assumed he didn't mean that.

"I don't think I quite understand," she cringed at how quiet her voice sounded. Paul exhaled a large breath of air and smiled to himself.

"Then let me help you to," Paul found Bryony's hands and gave them a gentle squeeze.

"Imprinting is like - when you see her everything changes. All of a sudden it's not gravity holding you to the planet it's her." He paused, tucking a golden tendril of hair behind Bryony's ear, "you are my sole purpose in life right now, Bryony. Nothing else matters. I would do anything or be anything for you. I can feel myself changing, for the better, into the person you need me to be and I've never been happier, I feel like I'm a good person now."

Bryony exhaled a breath she didn't know she was holding in. As Paul spoke she felt as if the ground had swallowed her whole and spat her back out into another world.

Werewolves and vampires were one thing, Bryony was still adjusting to this new life that had always existed, but now she learns the feelings she felt for the boy next to her weren't ever real? It was fate? Magic? Or some deep rooted thing in nature?

She moved to speak, her words slipping away like water, she fumbled with her sleeve, attempting to shake her new insecure thoughts away, she tried to smile, but all she could feel was an unquenchable sadness, it felt like her soul had been ripped out at the idea that her love for Paul Lahote was forced it wasn't real.

Paul shuffled next to her, his creamy eyes studying her features, "Bryony..." he growled quietly, "hey Bryony." He shook her shoulder when she stared stoically at him, her mossy eyes dampened with the sting of tears as she realised where she was and the reality she had learnt.

The golden haired girl, sighed. "I'm sorry Paul," she licked her lips, shaking her head, her frown growing when the tears cut her cheeks like glass, "I - I," she stumbled with her words, "Paul I can't do this anymore." She pushed herself up, avoiding Paul's frantic eyes, he stood up quickly, his face contorting into what looked like anger?

No, heartbreak.

Bryony expected him to lash out or shout or lose his head like he usually does when he didn't get his way, but she was flabbergasted when Paul let out a pained sigh and stumbled away from Bryony, "I told you I would be better."

He turned away and transformed away from her, the wolf turned around his brown eyes glistening in the charcoal sky.

Bryony's once shining emeralds had quickly turned to withered leaves when she watched her wolf run into the distance, his howl haunting her in the midnight sky.

The pain she felt was real. As she watched Paul leave, the feeling of loneliness creeped up to her, wrapping around her spine, this felt real.

But Bryony didn't know what was real anymore. She loved Paul she knew she did, but was it because of the imprint?

If Paul was normal, if he wasn't a werewolf would he still feel the way he did for Bryony? Or did he love her because he was fated to her.

Bryony rubbed her eyes with her sleeves and made her way over to Bella and Jacob, "Hey Bella," she called over the chatter of the fire pit, her friend turned round, hands stuffed in pockets and a small smile playing on her face.

"Are you okay Bry? Where's Paul?" Bryony shook her head aggressively, and looked to Jacob he was studying her intently, "Paul told you about the imprint didn't he?" The blonde haired girl nodded and arched a brow, Jacob kicked the grass, "I can hear his thoughts, perks of being a wolf."

"Bella, I really don't want to ask this of you, but seeing as I have no choice as Ram and Victoria are after me too, can I stay with you? I won't get in the way, I'll help you as best I can."

Bella nodded, "Sure, I'll text Charlie to make a bed up for you," she nudged Bryony, "don't threat about it Bry, your safety matters and Charlie loves you."

Authors note:

This is a larl bit shorter then usual but I have to stop before the biggest reveal is revealed !!

Hope you enjoyed and that everyone's safe !!