3: The promise of reunion

= "You're the STAR and the MOON that shines on my darkest nights" =

.

❄ - ⭐ - ❄

.

Junichi's snicker could be heard again before he told them that it was already time to have breakfast. The group went back to the house that Tanjiro saw earlier.

"By the way, I'm very surprised to see you. What brings you here today, Tanjiro?" Mizuki asked as she walked closely beside him.

The burgundy haired boy glanced at her sideways before shifting his gaze back ahead.

"I always found it unfair that you're the only one coming over. And as if he had heard my complains, Urokodaki-san told me that it was alright for me to go and train here with you in the mornings."

"Oh. That's nice to hear then."

"Indeed."

The two giggled until Tanjiro let out a surprised shriek when something pushed him away from the girl. The push was on his legs so he looked down only to see the black wolf from earlier walking in between them.

The same deadpan expression from before was on the wolf's face as it stared at him while walking. Tanjiro sweatdropped as he returned the gaze the wolf is giving him. It looks like it doesn't want him to go near Mizuki for some reasons he doesn't know.

"Oh. Looks like Flower's fond of you, Tanjiro." Mizuki suddenly spoke in delight, giving the black animal a gentle pat on the head. He was sure that it wasn't the reason of the sudden nudge though.

The burgundy haired boy's eyebrow twitched at the mention of the wolf's name. He turned to Mizuki with a dumb expression.

"Flower? Isn't this one a male wolf?" He asked with a blink.

"He is. But he likes the name Flower! Right?!" She explained enthusiastically as her arms circled around the animal and rubbed her cheeks against it.

Tanjiro almost wanted to facepalm. He swore that he could see tears coming from the wolf's eyes even though there is nothing on it. He wanted to comment about her naming sense but seeing the girl's delighted face, he decided against it and just smiled while watching her.

"Hey, you two! Hurry up!" Junichi's call from ahead of them echoed.

The two hurried up their paces until Tanjiro was hit by the sudden cold wind. He couldn't help but shiver and hug himself as he tread the snowy path together with Mizuki. He then turned to her who looked like she wasn't even bothered by the cold temperature. Mizuki is still wearing her normal clothes, no additional fabric to help her cover herself against the cold.

"Are you not feeling cold?" He questioned.

"Hmm?" She glanced back at him with an innocent expression, making him look away the instant their gazes met.

Not finding anything wrong with his reactions, Mizuki spoke. "Not really. I'm used to cold environments." She answered with a shrug.

Tanjiro also grew up in the mountains and is used to cold temperatures, but it looks like the girl walking beside him have a much more higher cold tolerance than him. She was walking casually as if she was just walking in her own garden under the sun!