Chapter One

Despite it being a Monday morning, the Nepenthe Restaurant was full

Despite it being a Monday morning, the Nepenthe Restaurant was full. Families, friends, and visitors had gathered to join in on the latest brunch specials, from prosciutto styled eggs Benedict, to pancakes delicately sprinkled with some ricotta cheese. From where he sat at his own little table, Harry could see the slight annoyance on his mother's face from a distance. She attempted to mask it with a smile, and while she had others fooled, Harry could sense it. She wasn't annoyed by her customers at all, but by the idea of brunch in some ways.

Far too often, he had heard that brunch wasn't much of thing back in Italy, at least, where she had grown up and since opening her restaurant, it seemed to be the most popular meal after dinner. His father had told her that it was really just the eating hour that classified as brunch, not so much the menu, but Renata didn't believe it one bit. Instead, she decided to come up with a brunch menu that mixed the specials of breakfast and lunch together.

As he watched her expression from a distance, he was caught no later than a few seconds as Renata turned her head and spotted him. Immediately, her facial features softened and she offered a genuine smile his way. Normally, she would make her way over to check on him every few minutes, but that morning had kept her busy and away.

Harry didn't mind it though, after all, he was used to spending his mornings at the restaurant. While the rest of his family enjoyed sleeping in most mornings, Harry was always up early with his mother and she always invited him to tag along if he wished. But that particular morning, he was also waiting on some company of his own.

Earlier, he had received an owl from one of his best friends, Huxley Lupin, who claimed he had some exciting news to share. He said he would be stopping by at the restaurant around noon at the latest, which was only fifteen minutes off. All the while, Harry was trying to figure out just what the exciting news was that Huxley wanted to share, coming up with several guesses of his own but they all sounded dreadfully silly.

Suddenly, just as Harry was about to stand up and head off to the loo, the door to the restaurant burst open, startling a great majority of the people dining. Harry spotted him right away, Huxley running before coming to a straight halt and looking around. His father, one of Harry's father's best friends, Remus, arrived in the doorway, shooting an apologetic look in everyone's direction.

"Harry!" Huxley exclaimed once he spotted him before running over. "Harry, you won't believe it!"

He slammed several pieces of paper onto the table just before running his hands through his brown hair to keep it out of his eyes. He was slightly winded, probably running around all morning, but it didn't stop the wide grin on his face.

"Well, go on, take a look at it!"

Fighting back a laugh, Harry bit down on his tongue before taking the pieces of paper into his hands and looking it over. It only took him the first couple of lines to see exactly what it was.