Chapter Ten

The rest of the summer was smooth sailing for the Potter family, enjoying what was left of the holidays before it was time for Harry to start his first year at Hogwarts, along with Neville, Ron, and Huxley

The rest of the summer was smooth sailing for the Potter family, enjoying what was left of the holidays before it was time for Harry to start his first year at Hogwarts, along with Neville, Ron, and Huxley. Harry had been attempting to spend some as much time as possible with his parents and his siblings, knowing that it would be months before he saw them again. And as the time approached for him to leave for Hogwarts, Harry had to admit (only to himself) that he was nervous. He had never been apart from his family for very long, maybe a couple of days at a time when he attended sleepovers and such, but nothing more than that.

He was thankful to have his friends were attending as well, but it wasn't going to be the same. On nights that he awoke from horrible nightmares, he knew his mother wasn't going to poke her head instead of his room to see if he was sleeping well. He wasn't going to be comforted by his father's reassuring words or sense of humour when James sensed he was feeling down. And he wasn't going to have Ilaria and Monte there to make him laugh with their silly antics.

The sad truth was Harry was feeling homesick before he had even left home.

When the first of September arrived, Harry found himself long awake before the rest of his family. Even Hedwig offered a side glance in his direction as he moved around in his bed. He debated whether to simply sit there and wait for others to start stirring, but after a few minutes, Harry found himself leaving his bedroom and heading towards his parents' room.

Renata and James were sound asleep when Harry cautiously poked his head into the room. The sound of his father's light snoring echoed about, while Renata was practically buried under the blankets. Harry made his way to Renata's side of the bed and nudged her arm lightly, knowing she was more likely to wake up than James.

Seconds later, her eyes fluttered opened and it took a moment before they focused on Harry.

"Harry, what are you doing in here? Is everything alright?" Immediately, her maternal instincts seemed to kick in, making her bright-eyed and alert instantly. "What's wr-"

"Nothing is wrong," Harry told before climbing over her and settling in the middle of the bed, " I just wanted to say good morning."

Renata was not easily fooled by Harry attempting to brush off his own nerves. He had to keep reminding himself that even if he wasn't completely honest with her, she would always know how he was truly feeling.

"Are you nervous about heading to Hogwarts?" Renata asked, rolling over so that she was facing him. She propped her head up using her elbow. "It's alright if you are, there's nothing wrong with that."

"I'm not nervous about going," Harry said, " I just don't like the idea of being so far away from all of you. I won't get to see you for a long time. I'm going to miss being home."

"And we're all going to miss you so much, Harry," Renata said softly, as she pulled him into a hug. "I don't think you realise how much your father and I have been dreading this moment. We want you to go off and have adventures. I know you're going to have so much fun with your friends, but we're going to miss you terribly. But you know what, we're always going to be right here when you get back. Your home will always be here, waiting for you."