Chapter 4: The Tensions are Rising...

Scene 1

Hilda's House

6:21 AM

The rain was pattering hard on the windows of Hilda's Room. She woke up, all while dreading the new week of class ahead. But not before she heard a knock at the main door. Twig heard it as well because upon hearing it, he began to growl.

"What is it, Twig?" Hilda began before walking out her room and got to the door.

Looking outside, she noticed that it was Hilbert and his friends.

"Hilbert? Dana? Freddie? How did you get here?!" Hilda said. Alice popped out of Hilbert's hair.

"We found a manual activation clause in Appendix C. Though... there was a footnote that led to a missing page. But we figured that we were strapped for time already, so we're hoping it doesn't have any serious consequences." Alice explained shortly before Alfur appeared.

"*sigh* We need to get to the Library quickly."

"Class begins at 8 and I've already been late enough times." Hilda reminded. "If I'm late again, I might be ...

The Library - Hidden Room

7:01 AM

They got to the Hidden Room, slightly soaked from the rain. They were walking down the stairs to notice the Runestone emitting lots of fumes.

"Oh, this is bad..." Hilda muttered. "It's cracked. But how? I'm certain it was intact when I got it here last night."

Dana grabbed the book they needed.

"We don't have much time. We need to figure out the consequences for using the manual activation." Alice reminded them. Dana quickly turned the page to the appendix they needed. Both Alice and Alfur put their zoom glasses on. Alfur was reading quickly, but he noticed something that shocked him.

"I simply cannot believe this!" Alfur yelled.

"What is it?" Hilbert asked.

"Allow me to explain." Alfur began. "Using the manual activation is for emergencies only. It'll result in times of dimensional alignment by the dimensions in question being dialed back by 6 hours on both sides. For example, we'll now only be able to open this mirror at 6PM."

"Well, that doesn't sound too bad." Freddie remarked.

"But that's not all. As a result of using it, we've lost 6 hours on our Runestones." Alfur continued.

"That leaves us with only 6 hours left!" Alice cried. "Can't we just use the manual activation again to try and transfer the Runestones then?"

"That won't work." Alfur answered. "According to this, the manual activation can't be used until the next lapse."

"How could we have known...?" Hilbert groaned.

Then a loud thunderclap came from outside, with pouring rain following pursuit.

"That's not good." said Dana

"What do we do now?"

"I suppose we wait for 6PM."

"I don't think so. We've been playing the waiting game for the past few days."

Another loud thunderclap shook the building. Then the lights went out. It was early in the morning, but it seemed almost dark as night.

"Now, that makes things worse. And to think that we forgot umbrellas." Hilda groaned.

"So, how exactly do you plan on getting to class in this condition?" Alice asked