Chapter 5: From Bad to Worse

Scene 1

Hilda's House

8:24 AM

Everyone arrives at the apartment. Hilda runs over to grab a flashlight. But then something blocks off the blue light coming from whatever was up there. Hilda looked to the window to see what it was.

"Aah!" She screamed. It was apparently a lost Woff that got tossed around by the progressively worsening winds, and it was flying headlong towards the window. She opened it up, hoping it would go right in instead of crashing through it and making a mess.

As soon as it flew in, she caught it to make sure it didn't hit a wall and make a mess of the room. She slid back quite a ways toward the back wall until the Woff finally lost its momentum. She then ran to the window to close it.

"Are you okay, big guy?" Hilda asked. The Woff was shivering.

"Don't worry, buddy. I have something that should help." she continued before grabbing a nearby blanket.

Placing it onto the Woff, and giving it a pat, it let out a purr of comfort.

"Just try to relax, okay? I'll be back as soon as I can." Hilda instructed as she grabbed the flashlight and went to leave the room. But Johanna came in, quickly noticing the Woff sitting there.

"Eek! There's a Woff in the house!" Johanna cried.

"Mum! Don't scare it." Hilda replied. "It's really bad out there so it can't leave now."

*Sigh* "Since it's bad right now, I suppose it can stay inside."

Hilda came outside her bedroom with the flashlight. The rest of the group was on the couch.

"Alright. Mum's car can only fit four people, and Raven is out of commission for the time being." Hilda informed everyone. "Oh, and we also have a Woff in my room, but I don't think that'll work."

The phone in the kitchen rang. "Oh good. The landline still works." Johanna remarked before answering the phone. "Johanna Gribley." //The name is a reference

"Hi, Johanna. We got a phone call from the school that classes were cancelled today, so we went to pick up our son, David." The voice on the phone said.

"Oh. He's actually here right now." Johanna answered. "You know, I'd like to ask you a favor. Could your car carry a second passenger? I'd like you to take David and... a friend of his to the Library today."

"Well, there's a lot of stuff in the back, but I might be able to make room." The voice said. "Mind if I ask who this friend is?"

"Oh... uh..." Johanna turns away from the phone. "Hilda, is it alright with you if you go in David's car to the Library?"

"Sure."

"Okay." Johanna returns to the phone. "Hilda, it's Hilda."

"Okay, very good. I'll be there as soon as I can." The voice said. "What's the address?"

Hilda's House - Outside

8:43 AM

David's mom's car pulls up. Hilda climbs into the backseat. The passenger side was the only available seat. And there was quite the mess on her left and even piled on the floor.

"I'm curious. Why the Library during a blackout?" David's mom asked as they drove by an unpowered traffic signal being substituted by a member of the Trolberg safety patrol.

"Just solving another mystery with Hilda." David answered vaguely. "A mystery about this weird storm."

"Wow. Excellent." David's mom replied.