Five

Cesare's POV:

After the doctor had cleared us to go and visit Savannah, the cops had gone in first. 20 minutes later they came back out and left. Lorenzo and I took that as our cue to go in next. She was all bruised up, and it caused my heart to ache. If only I didn't push her away then she wouldn't have driven off in tears.

"Savannah..." Lorenzo approached her bedside, earning a smile from her. Even having been in an accident, she still looked beautiful. "How are you?"

"I'm okay..." She whispered. It was evident that her voice box suffered injury. I have no doubts it was because of the fire. She didn't get proper treatment before she left. Would the EMT'S have cared knowing it was her they were to treat? Seeing as how everyone viewed her as a curse, I highly doubt it.

Considering she left the hotel room moments before the emergency personnel rushed in, means they saw her and left her to fend for herself. That realization made me ball my fist in anger. "And you added fuel to the fire by reminding her that she was an outcast." My spirit put me back in place. I couldn't get mad at them, when I was guilty of doing the same thing.

"Can you tell us what happened?" I blurted out causing Savannah to finally take notice of my presence. It was irritating me that she was giving all of her attention and beautiful smiles to Lorenzo. That should be me comforting her. I should be the one protecting her...

She looked at me briefly before looking down at her hands that were placed in her lap. "Why should I? I'm crazy remember?" I approached her, and she backed away in fear. Fear? She wasn't afraid of me earlier. Why the sudden change of behavior? "Don't come any closer!

"Savannah, you don't have to be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you." I said trying to understand why she was suddenly acting this way. I took another step closer, and she grabbed on to Lorenzo like her life was in danger and buried her head in his chest.

"Torna indietro e lasciami parlare con lei.(Just back up and let me talk to her.)" Lorenzo spoke in Italian. I did as he said, taking a seat in the chair. "Savannah? Can you tell me what caused your accident?"

Lorenzo's POV:

After she calmed down, I wiped her tears. "Isabella Flores..." The name she gave made my eyes widen. So, it was true. She was back with a vengeance. "...your fiancée!" Savannah pointed an accusing finger at Cesare. "She had access to the security cameras in the hotel room; she told me that I was going to die for helping the De Luca brothers."

Cesare stood up and flipped his chair over in fury. This made Savannah cry harder. She pressed her head into my chest again to hide from Cesare. "Calmati, Cesare! La stai spaventando! (Calm down, Cesare! You're scaring her!)" He stormed out of the room, and she calmed down instantly, as if she did that purposefully in order to get him to leave. "You know, don't you?"

She nodded her head. "This isn't the first time I've felt this kind of connection."

"What do you mean?" Who was her first, if not Cesare?

"God revealed to me who my soulmate was last year." Her eyes began to water again, and I watched as she unconsciously rubbed at the scar on her palm. "He didn't... he uh... he rejected me because I was... different." Lying back, she let out a heavy sigh. I felt the weight of her pain and hugged her. "'The others were right about you. Death and destruction follow you around.' That's what he said right before he left."

I could feel Cesare by the door listening. His frustration and regret hit me, but Savannah was the one who looked towards his eavesdropping spot. "You can feel him?