03 | Illusion

"Some people think him cool, you know, with the hair, the pierced ears, and extra large clothing." Kaiser was telling me when I asked him about Richard. "You weren't a student here then but a few years ago he made himself popular, but then again, they are pretty rich." 

"That would explain it."

"Why? Did he buy you a drink? He likes doing that lately, must be running for the student council next year."

"No, I don't need someone to."

"That's one question I've always wanted to ask you, Al." Kaiser suddenly said.

"What do you mean?"

"I just don't understand why you stay in this dorm when you're house is just 2 streets away from here."

"Nah, it's to big for me. Besides, it's more fun here." I explained and then added, "My parents aren't here and nobody needs to know."

"Believe me, nobody does."

"Good, and I'd like to keep it that way," I said lying down, "what a day." I yawned and pulled the blankets to my chin.

Across the room, I could hear the faint patter of the keys on Kaiser's laptop. I close my eyes and went to sleep.

--

Days turned into weeks and tuition fees became a problem when prelims had the nerve to present itself. University it seemed was the time when you cared more about paying the tuition than passing the exams. Reviewing was useless when still had to settle an account, you can't take the exams anyway.

Half of the population slept in the library to get their projects done while the rest pleaded temporary insanity. But finally, just as it began, it was over.

"Hey," I said one lunch break, "there goes Kaiser."

He was basically one of the school heartthrobs.

"So?" Kay asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know," I stalled, "he kind of looked your way, even waved, I think." I finished suppressing a grin. He was actually waving at me but seeing somebody squirm was always fun. I waited for her to change hue.

You could almost always tell the way she feels and thinks. For some reason now, her sadness could take the life away from me. She also had a seriousness and sympathy that eased my burdens. And her voice, God! It simply wipes my greatest pain. And I just feel sorry for myself because I am one of those guys who is a hopeless romantic.

"Al please, I've had enough boys." She smugly said.

"Why do you hang out with me then?" I retorted.

"Well," she began, "you're kind of different."

"You mean I'm gay?"

"No," she paused thoughtfully, "you're not, are you?"

"Heck no! You want proof?" I demanded as I got up.

"Don't," and she covered her face.

"What's going on here?" Abby blurted in. Damn! Does this girl even know what privacy is?!

"What's that?" I pointed to what she was holding after I composed myself.

"Tickets," she swelled importantly.

"I can see that, but for what?"

Kay inspected a piece. "It's a ticket to a band concert right here in school."

"It's this Friday and Kaiser's taking me."

"You wish," I said. No wonder she hasn't deflated yet. I dared not to look at both of them.