06 |Illusion

A cacophony of sounds greeted me as I entered the ballroom, which was the auditorium. It was some time around eight and the place was  jammed packed already. The heat was acting up if not for the air conditioning system. Most of the students were stomping on the dance floor. They were a happy mood and I was sure that somebody would spike the juice container later on and get everyone drunk.

I hope to catch a glimpse of her early on, but Kay was elusive, even my classmates wouldn't tell me.

Abby called me over presently. "Where have you been?" She said handing me a glass of juice.

"Just walking around." I grimaced. The drink smelled of alcohol. I took a sip. It was not that strong so I drained the glass.

"I haven't seen her, yet." she told me. I looked at her, confused as heck.

"Who?"

Abby pointed. "Them, I mean."

I've always thought that time only stops once you've met the person who would fulfill your destiny, but tonight, it stopped when I saw Kay and Richard standing before me. I wanted to die in a slow painful way.

"I'm sorry," Abby said softly.

"It's okay, my eyes were just sweating." I heard myself say as she helped me to a chair. "I guess the rumors were true."

"It would seem so."

"But why?" I asked weakly. "All this tine, she didn't tell me."

"Did you ask her?

I shook my head. "I've been afraid."

"Your fears are now before you but don't worry Al, this is the kind of fear that you don't have to face. Not right now anyway. "

I asked her what that meant and she said I still got to talk to Kay. Confront my fears, stuff like that. She also ranted about Kay not actually deserving a word from me. All I could do was nod and shake my head. I had to laugh when I realized Richard was also a classmate.

It was almost ten and the gate were now being opened to outsiders. I still haven't seen Collin and Kaiser. I only hoped they were doing any better than I am. Kay looked at me in a surprised way as I headed to the entrance. Richard was smug. I had to fetch my high school classmates.

My classmates from high school were a jolly bunch you'd think I was the one visiting them. They dragged me to the refreshments table later. By now all I could drink was water, but I was happy.

Albert created the quotation with his fingers. "Where's that 'girl' of yours?"

I shook my head and pointed her out of their benefit. "She never was."

"Dude," he clapped me on the shoulders, "you always get the best."

"Is that her boyfriend I see?" Nelson broke in, obviously wanting me to go berserk at his comment, but I kept my cool.

I shrugged, nonchalantly.

"Sheesh," Rainer emptied his glass and choked, "you got to get you eyes checked."

"Whatever for? What's wrong with her?" I asked.

"Her brains for one, I think. I don't think much of her taste." Rainer said while chugging himself another drink.

"I guess the world is badly made." I retorted.

"You're smart dude Al." Kyle butted in. "But you really need someone with a better preference." I opened my mouth to retort but Kyle wasn't through. "Keep your brains intact, please. Look at who she's with. You just have to be a player to compete with a guy like that. Think this one through Al." This gave me the feeling that everyone knew who Richard, except for me.

"Maybe it was just out of pity." Nelson suggested.

Abby dropped by and joined our little inquisition.

"Birds of the same feathers, flock together," Kyle suddenly spoke, "but this doesn't always apply to love. Okay, so opposites attract, big deal. Differences in people are created because of the things they have in common. Opposite poles attract only because they are magnets."

"I try not to judge people with what I have." I said, knowing fairly well that he wasn't talking about me at all.

"Well, bad news dear cousin," Abby said with sympathy," even if you turn the world upside down, give everything up and love so unselfishly, at the end of the day, you'd still be who you are."

We watched the objects of our debate for quite a while. This went on for about a solid hour.

"All I wanted was to let her know that I care." I said, nearly crying.

"Maybe she doesn't want you to." Nelson said.

"Just because I love her doesn't mean she's got to love me back."

"You've been a fool enough already, Al." Rainer said. "Don't make it a habit."

We agreed to go home, and I offered them a lift. It was almost three in the morning so they retrieved their coats and made to go.

"Think it over, bro. And thanks for the ride." Kyle said.

"No problem." I said.

I spent the next day in bed. I felt so tired and heavy that I skipped lunch so I didn't have to go to the mess hall. But sometime in the evening was falling I felt I just had to leave the world behind. I stood up to get my coat and made my way to the mall.

The driver dropped me a few blocks away from the mall. It was past eight when I found myself inside Jollibee.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Kay greeted me. I didn't know it was where she was working.

"Nothing," I said, "just missing you."

"Hehe," she said hoisting her bag after the guard inspection. "Could you come with me?" She asked timidly, "I need to buy something."

"Okay."

We walked for a few blocks in silence. She continued to search the streets.

"I need to buy my medicine," she explained.

"I don't think there's still an open pharmacy now." I said checking my watch. "They close up early. Have you had dinner yet?"

"A pie."

"Too bad I don't have money anymore. I miss eating out."

"It's okay." she smiled.

"Hey, when do I get a treat from you? A burger and fries is enough." I asked teasingly.

"No way."

"Come on..."

She glared.

"Okay..." I shrugged. "I'll bring money tomorrow, I need to say something to you."

We crossed the street and once more I placed myself between her and the rushing vehicles.

"I notice you always do that." Kay said in an amused tone.

"I'm the last gentleman." I said simply.

She laughed and drew closer. It was a very cold night. I wish it was like this every time.