CHAPTER NINE

NINE: A RIDDLE SOLVED.

Clifford and I met back at the park at exactly eight pm as we agreed.

"Hey," he piped up from beside me.

"Hi," I replied, giving him a short nod of acknowledgement.

"So, you've got an idea or what?" He asked.

"Yes, I do." I explained the whole thing to him. Telling him the day that my father brought me here and I spotted the statue.

"Where is this statue?" He asks, his eyes roaming around the free park in search of it.

"Right there." I grip his chin, turning his head to where the statue is and pointing at it with my other free hand.

The moonlight stroke the statue, highlighting it and making it stand out in all it's glory. We walked towards it and I noticed that the eyes of the eagle where different, one was much bigger than the other and one of the eyes was open while the other was closed.

Dipping my fingers into the open one, I pulled out an old looking scroll.

"It's the letter." I announce to Clifford after carefully unfolding it.

A bright grin spread across his lips, showing of his deep dimples, "well, read it." He said impatiently.

To Debby,

Congrats baby girl, you solved your first real riddle. You are growing up so fast and I wish I was there to witness it. I love you so much Debbs, don't you ever forget that.

Remember what you're here for.
Remember you're a shiny light.
Remember the child of who you are.
Remember who you are born to be.
Remember who your parents are.
Remember where you come from.
Remember my words.
Remember me.
Mostly,
Remember and know who you are.

1406.

With love,
- Mom.

I went through the letter again. Making sure my eyes re read every single line and word well, not missing anything.

This couldn't be, it couldn't.

Debbs?

She couldn't have called me that.

"Hey," Clifford shook my shoulder gently, bringing my attention back to him. " What's wrong?"

"Debbs." I said, still starting at the letter in disbelief.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"She called me Debbs, Cliff." I shook my head.

"What's wrong with that?"

"Everything. Everything is wrong with that." I exhale loudly, rubbing my palm on my forehead.

"Explain, would you?"

"When my dad came home from work he always asked me if I wanted to go to the park, but, he never called me by name. Never. He always called me Debbs."

"What is the big deal, Debby?"

"The big deal Clifford is that only my dad called me that!" I yell in frustration. I pause, regaining my composure before speaking again, "after, my dad left us, it hurt so bad and my mom promised me not to ever use that name on me again, so I just don't understand why she used it." I said in a much calmer tone.

Just thinking about the past and my father made me so emotional. I couldn't help it as a tear fell down my red cheeks.

"Shhhhh," Clifford pulls me to his chest and wraps his arms around me. "Don't cry. It's okay."  I sighed into his chest allowing my self to take in his scent, a mixture of lavender and baby oil. As long as Clifford was always here, I was going to be okay.

"Thanks for being here." I breathed into his shirt that was now tear stained.

"Anytime." He hugged me tighter.

Please vote if you are enjoying the story💟 Thank you.