chapter xiv

The two had stayed on the bench for hours. Occasionally one would talk., saying a simple thank you, or telling an antidote of their past, but neither ever tried to tell the other that it would be okay, or offer any advice. They sat there and promised to be there for the other. To stand by their side, and to have their back. Soft words never to be heard by another soul as they allowed their walls to have a door installed for the person in their arms. To allow the other to become apart of their family. To be the dreamed of daughter, who was perfect in every way, and to be missing father, who could right the wrongs from long ago.

When the two finally left the bench their faces both held the expression of relief. Jane had had her walls in place and strong, only allowing Alec entrance, but now there was another door; one for Apollo. He had been so scared his whole life for a future that didn't allow him to anyone. But, now he had someone who he truly loved with his whole heart. One that wasn't built from the water of the womb, but the blood of the covenant.

She escorted him back to his room, where Demetri awaited for their arrival.

"Apollo," Jane's soft voice interrupted the silence, "Thank you." The words were simple, but they said so much more. They were filled with emotions that Jane usually didn't allow to fill her words. This was more than a simple thank you, and he knew it as well. He smiled and walked into his room where Demetri lounged staring blankly at the ceiling.

Demetri was a unique person. Apollo had never met a person as well balanced as him. It was as if he were two complete opposite people shoved into one. Like he could just flip a switch and become the other. On one side, he was very serious, speaking in turn, and following every instruction thrown his way by the Masters. On the other, he was a giant child. Him and Felix played tag in the hallways, play wrestling over petty arguments, and playing jokes on the other members of the coven. thankfully Apollo had gotten off scot free

"I'm just going to lay down, if you would like someone to accompany you, that's fine. I'm afraid I won't be much entertainment," Demetri pulled his eyes away from the bland ceiling as Apollo spoke. He trudged over to his bed, and flopped face down.

"No, you should rest." Demetri sighed. He cared deeply for the boy. Most of the high guard did. Felix and Demetri didn't take as long to warm up to the boy, but like the twins, they still frightened him in the sense that they were entirely new characters to him. He's never met anyone who could switch so easily between fun and business like those boys could. Demetri cast sad eyes down the unmoving form. He almost felt guilty that anything bad has ever happened to him. That he had to start drinking the disgusting vermin from the woods nearby to avoid the guilt of their natural food source. He wished he could've done something to help when he was attacking himself. When he was screaming for them to go away.

Apollo was pulled back into reality by the sound of screaming. It pained him that he could recognize the scream. A little kid between the ages of nine to eleven. He pulled himself from his bed to follow the sound.

The halls were cold and deserted, and a deep chill had settled in his bones. Each step was slowly being him into the bowels of the dark castle where so many vampires, and humans, alike had died. Step by step the screaming grew louder, and he realized there was more than one person screaming. There were so many people screaming all of them mixing together. His felt like his eardrums would burst soon, but still he continued on.

He came to the set of doors where the screaming echoed. His hand shakily rose to push open the doors. They were familiar and new at the same time. His heart was pounding in his chest, he think didn't question why the pounding had occurs.

As the heavy doors pushed open the dark shadowy ghosts from earlier had filled the dark room. It was like the throne room but blood coated the walls, spotted the ceiling. Blood splash beneath his feet as he took a step in. The pounding was faster. Like a war drum calling out order from the commander.

The ghosts surrounded him, hands outstretched, scratching with dull nails and peeling off his now soft fleshy skin. Some faces he recognized. Aro was there. He was reaching out, trying to say something. Despite the pain of the sharp finger drawing blood, he could only focus on Aro's lips trying to understand what he wanted to say. He then started pointing to Jane. There was her father, not that he had ever seen him, nor should he be able to recognize him, but he knew it was him. 

Her father was screaming in her face as she cowered away. He could tell her powers wouldn't work, and Alec wasn't around. Apollo somehow knew he had been tied like a dog. Like how his father used to punish him. Pushing through the pain of the fingernails pulling apart his flesh, he made his way towards the girl. He wrapped his body around her father so that he would be caught in the crossfire of the ghost harsh hits, and kicks. The pain was next to unbearable and seemed to get worse each second until one drew a deep gash across his throat. His back was shattered, and he could feel the warm blood pour down his back.

Blood coated his mouth and his shirt clung to his body as his blood soaked him. His grip slowly loosened and his vision went dark. He tried to take in any air but he couldn't. The blood slowly filled his lungs until there was a great nothingness around him.

One of things Apollo had been delighted to find out about immortality is that it allowed him to dream. They weren't like normal dreams where it took a while to be pulled out, but they were quite similar in the sense that one could not control what happened during the dream, or that one was always aware when one was happening at all. Apollo's previous dreams were much like him human ones: bizarre, funny, and entirely impossible.

But this one wasn't like the rest. This wasn't a dream at all. This was a nightmare. He just couldn't realize it. It felt real. It felt like death really has him.