chapter xxii

The castle was cold and quiet. Alec wasn't allowed into his old rooms due to the fact that it was too close to the kings' quarters. Apollo refused to see the overtakers as anything than what they are - traitors. He hated them. However, he couldn't find it in his heart to hate his sister. He's loved her too long for him to ever feel such a thing. It was bizarre to him that this began because he had a photoshoot in Volterra. Maybe if he hadn't insisted on picking up his sister, and instead gone to sleep. Maybe he would still be alive. He might still be able to be around humans without the icy burn in his throat.

"'Pollo?" Darcy knocked on his door as he lay staring at the ceiling. His eye had flooded with venom. He lightly hummed as a way of saying she was allowed to enter. Darcy slowly crept into the room, "Dinner's on it's way." It was her way of coping, and he understood that, but he still wanted to poke and prod. He had to switch the animal blood because of his guilt hallucinations. They were all his worst- Oh no.

"You weren't the reason, were you?" He asked as everything fell into place. The last few puzzle piece finally made their way to the correct location, "You couldn't have been behind it," He couldn't believe that his sister had caused him to hallucinate, then compelled him to forget. How could she be so cruel. To her own brother, nonetheless. Now he could hate her. SHe wasn't his Darcy. She was the Traitor, Darcia. 

"Was I what? What do you think I did?" She asked. He heard the panic in her voice, he knew it. He knew she was the cause of his hallucinations. Of the reasons he had to switch to animal blood.

He heard a sharp cry of the human reminding him of who he used to be, and of his new family. Now was not the time to fight, that was to come later. He needed to calm down, despite the pain. Apollo closed his eyes as Darcy looked confused, and almost offended. She was shell-shocked he would ever even think of blaming her.

"I'm sorry," He looked down so it was difficult for her to see his face, "I'm obviously wrong, you would never do that. Your my sister and I love you; I'm sorry I said that." Apollo's gift pressed beneath his skin trying to escape. He was beyond hurt. This was his sister and this how she treated him, because she wanted power.

"Do you want to go out and get food?" She pointed to the window. He figured she was implying animal hunting, but he wanted time away from her. He may have just seen her, but it was still too much.

"I think, just me and Alec will go." He tried to sound sheepish, as if he was ashamed for not wanting her to join, "There's too much happening, so I just want to stick with what I know."

"Of course, whatever you need, 'Pollo," She nodded. He could see she was hurt, but he couldn't bring himself to do anything to prevent it. He almost enjoyed seeing her as upset as him. Making her suffer like he did. Like he is. Like Aro is. And Jane, Alec, Caius, Marcus. Like his family. His true, chosen family. Not a mother who called once a year, or a father that hardly spoke to him or, or a sister who betrayed him in the worst way.

Just on time Alec knocked. He had to have heard their conversation, they had grown to speak in a tone that even humans could hear. He wasn't quite sure how they had gotten so loud, but at least Alec knew the cover story. They were to meet Adalene out in the woods. She was to recruit others. As much as the Volturi was feared and hated, overall they were helpful for keeping the secret of their race. People knew that; he doubted that there would be any shortage of people ready to restore order.

In a few hours Alec and him had ran through the surrounding forest and were far away from Volterra. Alec wouldn't eat the animals, but he was nice company. Apollo had a habit of occasionally making a mess. After Apollo ate, they planned to move into populated areas. The two were careful to be far enough away from the castle before conversing over their plan. Alec has scouted the castle finding weak points, and asking around. Most of the lower guard were only there to avoid being killed, and would fight for the Kong's if they were to rise up again.

"Hello, boys," Adalene purred catching their attention, "I brought a few friends." She gestured behind her to a small group of nomads. She explained how she knew each person in the group. There was probably only a couple with powers. They wouldn't be very powerful or else they would already be inside the castle and they would be the enemy.

"This will be interesting," Alec murmured into Apollo's ear sarcastically. Apollo hissed at him to be nice, and gently hit his arm. Alec had worked with people of exceptional powers; he was new to working with people of... ordinary abilities. Apollo had done it for years, however. Yes, he's apart of the Volturi, but humans can be the most plainly ordinary people. He's the youngest in the castle, and has spent the entirety of his job bouncing from ordinary person to ordinary person.

There were three females,  a nonbinary, and four males. Of the females there was Kyla and Kass, both without powers, and Vasalisa who had the ability to make small sparks of fire. Kyla had long black hair with naturally tan skin. Her almond eyes had a look that made whoever under her gaze feel naked. Kass, her sister, had the same hair and skin, but her eyes weren't as sharp or observant. They were a soft chocolate brown while her sister's were black holes, absorbing all light. Vaslisa had white blonde hair with light blue eyes. Everything about her was long, her hair, her fingers, her legs. Her skin was paler than most vampires, and almost translucent, empty blue veins could be seen beneath the skin. As Alec stared at her, Apollo could feel like Alec was thinking something, he just wasn't sure what.

The four males were each so mix-matched, it was like a four year old had designed them. Ryan, with extraordinary strength, not as strong as Felix. He had blonde beach waves, and looked like the stereotypical Californian surfer. Thule, a solitary man who was the size of a mountain who was skilled with a diamond edged sword that was easy as thick as Apollo's head. He had long dark brown greasy hair. Katran, a lanky boy, who couldn't quite describe his own power. He can see the internet, was how he explained it. He was gangly and looked like he still had yet to grow into his awkwardly proportioned body. Finally, there was Willian. He didn't have any powers either, and he didn't have a talent like Ryan or Thule, but like Kyla, the way he watched people was unnerving. It was like he could see their weaknesses after second's glance.

The last one, Jax, was Apollo's favorite. Xe had buzzed hair dyed a dark green color, that Apollo adored, with about two inches on him. Xe didn't have any offensive powers, but xe was bored, and so xe impulsively decided to join. Jax had the ability to know important information about people's futures. Xe and Apollo are both engaged in side-tracked conversation while planning their attack. Apollo's job was simple be a spy. Jax was just depressed enough to not bother listening.

The group was dispersing. They had come up with a plan, and were ready to put it into action, well sort of. Apollo still had intel to gather, but as he was about to leave Jax grabbed his arm.

"Go farther than the pain." Jax said in a spacey voice. HIs grip was so tight it was almost painful, but Apollo just stared in confusion. Xe blinked a couple times, "Um, sorry, but I don't know what that means." Jax shrugged.