chapter xviii

The wolves snarled at Caius as Anthedora approached with Darcia and Sulpicia at her sides, "Dear husband, must you insist upon being so stubborn?" Her voice was chiding, almost verging vindictive. He had locked her in a tower for many years forcing her to get high off of a vampire's addictive happiness. 

"Dear wife, must you insist upon being such a bitch?" He hissed back as a wolf snapped at him, and Darcia took a threaning step forward, only held back by Dora grabbing her wrist.

"I thought I was being merciful by allowing you your precious little art room, and originally we were going to have a nice little chat about where young Apollo has gone, but if you insist, I'll oblige." The wolves pounced, despite his speed. One biting his side while two others took his arms, and one stood behind him ready to clamp down on his neck. His screams echoed through the hallways that once held the most powerful coven, then the screams of said coven as they were torn apart from the inside, to finally what it has always appeared to be - an ancient castle where mighty kings have fallen, and all that were left to remember there are those who were crushed under their heels.

"The rest have fallen, Aro now sits along in a damp dungeon morning the abandonment of his mate, Marcus is as he always is, moping about in his cell, all of your guard has either fallen, or turned, all that was left is to subdue you." Sulpicia sneered slightly at Aro's name, and the mentioning of his mate. She truly did love him, despite him keeping her locked in a tower. She never saw the toxicity of what was happening, she could only see it as the protective measures that the kings, themselves, saw it as. 

"Why would I tell you, whores?" He spat at their feet. He still loved Anthedora and watching her be with her mate ripped his heart to shreds, yet he couldn't wish ill upon the couple. Had they simply requested to leave the Volturi he would've granted them as much. Now, that they are his enemies, he will fight them, but he might save their lives just to keep his ex-wife happy. She always did have a lovely smile.

Darcia, hearing her mate being insulted, instantly stepped forward, and wrapped her hand around his neck and throwing him to the ground, "Apologize." Her voice was low and threaning, and had she been paying attention in her trainings, perhaps Ciaus wouldn't have been able to worm his way around the command and hiss out, "Sorry, she's such a bitch." Too many vampires with verbally based powers were conceited, and couldn't imagine not being the most powerful person in the room. Yet, all you ever have to be is the smartest.

Her grip tightened, and his neck began to crack when Anthedora stepped forward to leaving open, wet kisses along her neck causing his stomach to twist, "Pay him no mind, love. He shall be relocated by another soon." Darcia hand dropped and his neck slowly healed. This was almost worse than every other time he had been tortured, because this time, it was people he saw as family. Even the little Darcia who he was never particularly close to. His eyes were prickling with venom filling them, and he has never been more thankful that he couldn't cry.

Darcia grabbed biceps, "Go to the dungeons and lock yourself up. If you attempt to wriggle your way out of my compulsion rip off your own arm." Darcia wasn't usually so violent, and more often than not she escorted everyone. But Ciaus was a horrible man who deserved nothing, and on several occasions had slapped her mate. Ciaus didn't bother to fight anymore, he was much too tired. The wolves allowed him to leave, but they follow him down to the dark rooms. He placed himself near Marcus's and Aro's cells. At least he would be by his brothers, who have only ever cared for him.

Alec had left the castle. He faintly remember being close to his sister, but he wasn't anymore. Now he only felt loyal to Apollo. They weren't as close as he remembered him and Jane being, but he also was around him less than Jane, so it made sense. He walked aimlessly trying to figure out which safe house Demetri hid him in. There were three that he could be at. The one in Forte Dei Marmi, one in Cecina, and one closer to Florence. Demetri said it was the one by the cliffs, so he would check Cecina, then Forte Dei Marmi.

He tried to remember how he escaped. He was surrounded by fire, everything he did hurt. People were standing around watching them burn, and his power did nothing to help him. His throat was in pain from screaming, and he had resolved to curl into a ball to try and avoid the flames. His hands were pressed tightly against his ear in attempts to block out his sister's screams and curses she hurled at the apathetic crowd. His head throb with the pressure, and her screams were probably the most painful part. He has burned before, but at that time, the crowd and the sound of the fire drowned out most noises besides his own screaming. Now the crowd couldn't care less. Now the only watched out of boredom. The fire sound like it was dying, but it wasn't. The faint crackling sound doesn't mean it's weakening.

The first safe house was empty. Cobwebs were everywhere. A thick layer of dust coated the walls and flooring. He almost wondered if maybe he could just hide here, to deal with his own trauma that has never been fully addressed beside repression and torture. Maybe he would find his mate wandering lost in the woods, and they can fall in love and just stay safely tucked away from the world in this small little cabin.

Even while the thoughts were in his head he couldn't do that to Apollo. He wasn't even a year old. His powers with wild, at best, and he most likely didn't have anyone. He left the cabin, and all his hopes and dreams for the dust to coat, and maybe one day he'll go back and pick them up again, but until then he had someone to meet.

sorry for the late update eek