27

Damien's mood change had been a positive change for his pack. He was able to finish, within the week, the plumbing systems in the building, and had organized the work crew for the other building of which he'd be a part.
He worked with his pack, he refused to be like some alphas and dictate, not lead and guide.

He was also pleased to see Jarod's relationship with his shewolf going well, he deserved to have that happiness in his life.

Now he was hunting with several of his wolves, they had been tracking a heard of deer, but the rain had begun to obscure scents and trails. His wolves were hesitant to continue having lost the trail, but Damien wanted nothing more than to sink his teeth into the flesh of a deer.

So they kept on.

Rain soaked their pelts and soon chilled their skin, but their suffering was not for nothing. The heard was deep in the treeline and the rain would give him and his wolves the element of surprise.

They had their targets soon enough, a large male deer, not the leader of the heard, but a definite prominent male, and a small but still well off, female. This would feed many of his wolves if prepared right. They split, half, including him, went for the male and the other half went for the female.

The element of surprise proved fruitful and the deer had no time to run far in the mud and water and they fell their prey with ease. Wrenching and breaking the deer's neck brought a deep satisfaction to Damien and his nature.

The trek back they took in human form, for it was easier to take the deer back and not worry about the muck damaging the meat.

They passed them into the care of the kitchen staff for them to prepare a meal. Afterwards, Damien went to shower off.

He just stood there as the dirt ran off in waves, and was sure to run his fingers through is hair, scrubbing his scalp free of the grit. It would have been better to come back to his female, to Shae, and share this shower with her. He had wanted her on their hunt, to see once more her prowess.

He wanted to track her down. It would be easy enough, he had contacts throughout the state and he knew the woman, Katherine, did not live in his town; he knew everyone that did.

Once finished, he quickly dried off and got dressed and headed to the lodge. Tonight, everyone would feast together as the past few months had been a successful, but also challenging, ordeal.

He sat at the center of the head table of a U shaped setup and was the first to take a bite of food as was custom, had he been visiting a pack, their alpha would do the same. It showed courtesy and made sure there was no attempt to poison anyone.

All ate of the bountiful fruit of their hunts and labor this night, and his pack was happy. The lively chatter filled his being with a sense of pride, they were by far the strongest pack in North America, and they were thriving.

He took notice of his beta

Jerod's female was a small bodied wolf and human, but tall, not like Shae however, tall enough so that it wasn't an awkward height difference between the pair. She was vastly different in temperament than Shae as well. Whereas Shae was strong, this female was docile. Shae had power, this female was a submissive.

But they fit together, and they seemed to move in sync with each other.

He envied them. Immensely. But he was beyond happy to know that his female was alive, scarred and different now, but alive. She had nkt turned him away, but nor had she accepted him, it was a game of wait and see. But he could only wait so long.