38

Damien loved the life that Shae brought to the pack. It was a breath of fresh air to him and to everyone. Although she did question tradition in everything she did, it made him realize how backwards things were.

Right now he stood on the front porch, trying his damndest not to burst out in anger, for the council had finally sent someone, who would be arriving any minute now. Shae was still asleep and he hadn't the heart to say anything to her, not yet at least.

A black SUV pulled up to the lodge. His gut twisted painfully as doors on thr vehicle opened. Out stepped three wolves, Alpha Raymond, an older, scarred and unpleasant looking wolf, and another older wolf.

He caught the scent of them all, the only one he wasn't familiar with was the second older wolf. The scarred one gad a scent that caused his blood to run cold.  This was the woof that had run through his territory so many months ago. This was probably the wolf that had been sent to kill Shae. For that Damien wanted nothing more than to rip his throat out. 

"So this is the mighty alpha Damien. I expected more, especially from what Atticus has mentioned," Damien snorted. The two older wolves introduced themselves as Abelard, the ugly one, and Caiaphas.

"The council send their regards and hates to do this, but we must meet her," Caiaphas said.

"Very well, it's inevitable I suppose," Damien responded. He was doing his best not to break down in tears, which threatened to spill from his eyes.

Shae was still sleeping. They'd had a late night so he didn't blame her.

Fuck, she was so beautiful, so peaceful. Especially now. He crawled into the bed, pulling her close. She groaned.

"A few minutes more, I'll wake," she said.

"You need to wake now. They are here my love," he gently brushed hair from her cheek, and tucked it behind her ear.

"So soon?" She said with a halfhearted laugh, and a voice thick with emotion.

"It's been three months, my love," three very good months. Budget got a little tight when Atticus withdrew his half of their agreements, but everything was still good.

She got up, and got dressed, taking her time. He knew she was stalling, but he didn't blame her. She dresses in a long skirt and a tank top. It was her signature outfit, she hated pants of any kind.

She went barefoot too.

Hand in hand they walked out together.

"So this is she, the feral alpha," Caiaphas said. Abelard stayed quiet, but gave an evil grin, and he felt Shae tense against him. He wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her into him as a way to offer a sense of protection.

"Yes," Shae responded.

"Take a walk with me, shewolf," his words offered no threat, but Damien could see her hesitation.

"I'm not going to kill you, not yet at least, you shouldn't be alive anyways. I just want to hear your story," Damien gave her an encouraging nudge before watching as they walked away, speaking in her language. This left him alone with the other two wolves.

"She gave a good fight, she did, I'm surprised she lived. She wasn't supposed to," it was Abelard who spoke. His voice was high and raspy, grating against his ears. He involuntarily shuddered listening to his voice.

"A human saved her," Damien told him, "otherwise she would have died,"

"I presume that's who taught her to speak?" Atticus said.

"Partly, Jerod and I had taught her some before she left on your command," he said, making sure to have his hatred seep into his voice. It was his fault that Shae ended up in the situation she did, his fault that he almost lost her for good.

"She does not belong in our world, Damien. The sooner you accept that, the better," Atticus said in a nonchalant manner. Damien snarled in response.

"it's not your place to decide who lives and who dies, we aren't both the judge and the executioner," he retorted.

"You're right, Caiaphas is the judge and Abelard is the executioner," the mangled wolf laughed at this, and Damien rolled his eyes in annoyance. This wolf was hell bent on destroying a life to prove a point.

Time seemed to drag on, but in reality it was only half an hour before they returned. Neither showed emotion, so he was left feeling more anxious about the situation than ever.

"We have reached an arrangement," he waited with baited breath for what was said next.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
Two more chapters left!!!

The next chapter will only be up for 24 hours after the initial post because I'm getting ready to turn in my manuscript, and once it's turned in, the final five chapters will be removed from this book as well.