5

~~~~a few days later~~~~~

(Adrien's POV)

She finds me under the stairs, breathing heavily and clutching a knife. I'm trying not to cut myself again because I know it's bad, but I really want to, and it's difficult to resist the urge.

"Adrien," Marinette says, letting me know she's there. "What are you doing?"

Her voice sounds more like a warning than a question, kind of like a pet owner talking to her dog about to crap on the carpet.

I uncurl my fingers from the knife, reluctantly showing her what I was planning to do. She takes the blade and puts it in the back pocket of her jeans.

"What's happened?" She asks, referring to my state of mind.

"I want it to end," I confess, my voice close to a wail. "I can't take it anymore."

"Adrien..." she says softly, her expression full of concern and sadness.

"If I put an end to it, no one would miss me, so why am I still here?"

She takes me in her arms, which is kind of difficult for her due to our height difference, but we manage. I settle into the embrace. I feel safe with her.

"I would miss you. So would Nino and Alya. We all love you and care about you so much, so please don't think those terrible thoughts."

"I can't help it."

"Whenever you feel the urge to cut again, or you're thinking harmful thoughts, call me or text me. And if I don't answer right away, turn to Nino or Alya. Promise me this."

"I... I don't want to bother you."

"It would bother me if you didn't call me when you need me. Promise me."

"Fine. I promise."

She goes on her tiptoes and kisses my forehead in response, satisfied with my answer. She then takes a pen out of her back pocket, and writes her phone number on my palm.

"Now you don't have an excuse," she explains with a timid smile.