15

Trigger warning: themes of depression, self harm, and suicidal thoughts

(Starts at Chat's POV, but feel free to skip the chapter. If any of you are feeling down please don't hesitate to reach out! I'm always here for you)

————-Mari's POV———-

I run outside and hide behind a lamppost.

"Tikki, spots on!"

"Eek!" I hear someone shriek, and I turn to see a girl about my age staring at me.

"Uh oh," I mutter.

"If you're going to transform in public, then you probably should hide behind something that actually covers you," she says with a laugh. "But don't worry, I'll keep your secret."

"You're probably right," I say, referring to my stupid idea to hide behind a lamppost. "I just wasn't thinking straight, I guess."

I turn and start to walk away but, the girl calls out to me.

"Wait... something's wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"You look worried."

"I'm a superhero; I'm always worried."

"No, this is different," she says. "Nobody has that expression unless they're concerned for a loved one."

"Loved one..." I repeat quietly. "Yeah, he means a lot to me."

"Ooh, is he your boyfriend, or...?"

"Not exactly."

The girl smiles at me, but then squints behind me at the mess caused by the cataclysm. Her eyes dart back and forth between my face and the rubble, and seems to be reading my expression.

"I hope you can help him get through this," she finally says, and starts back on her way down the street.

"How did you..."

"I'm not as dense as the rest of Paris," she replies as she walks backwards. "A word of advice: actions speak louder than words."

I stay frozen in place as she walks away. The encounter was so strange... it was like she knew exactly what was going on. I shook my, head, remembering that I have to focus on finding Adrien.

—————-Chat's POV———-

"Stop it, stop it, stop it!" I shout at my inner voices as I press my hands to the sides of my head. Why are they yelling at me? Why can't they leave me alone?

I slump against the metal structure of the Eiffel Tower, tears streaming down my face. The city looks so beautiful from the top of the building, but it's hard to see it when I feel colourblind.

"Plagg, claws in," I whisper, and I detransform.

"Kid?" He asks, confused at why I'm acting this way. "Why'd you leave in the middle of class?"

"Never mind," I say. It's hard to explain.

"Adrien..." the kwami warns as I pull a small knife out from my pocket.

I ignore him, and hold it against my wrist. Plagg flys down to my hand and tries to pry my arm away, but he isn't strong enough.

I cut once, twice, three times. It doesn't help, but yet I want to keep doing it.

"Stop it!" Plagg begs, his voice breaking. I had never seen him cry before, but he seemed like he was about to.

I put the knife down and look down at the ground. "There's only one way to truly stop this," I say.

"No!! Adrien, please!" Plagg says frantically as I stand up. Tears are rolling down both our cheeks.

"There's n-nothing left for m-me in this world," I whisper. "I'm s-sorry, Plagg."

"No!" He shouts. "I won't let you do this! I can't lose my best friend..."

"You'll find a better Chat Noir."

"N-no, I-I won't..." he mutters, and breaks down into sobs.

"Here," I say, taking off my ring. "B-bring this t-to Marinette."

"A-Adrien..."

"Just go," I say, shutting my eyes. "Tell her I love her."

——————Ladybug's POV—————-

"Marinette!" Someone yells. I turn to the sound, and see a little black thing flying towards me.

"Plagg?" I realize as he gets closer. "What's the matter?"

"It's Adrien," he sobs. "He's at the top of the Eiffel Tower... I'm afraid he's going to jump."

I gasp. "No!"

"He gave me this," he continues, and holds up a ring. He drops it onto my open hand.

"His miraculous..." I mutter. "Come on, Plagg, we have to save him from himself."