6

(Ladybug's POV)

"Hey Chat," I greet warmly, coming up to him from behind.

"Oh, hey," he replies, his voice lacking energy.

"Something wrong?" He didn't call me M'lady or bugaboo, which concerns me.

"N-no, just tired."

"Hmmm... why don't I believe you?"

He laughs and stands up, still not turning to me. I walk in front of him to see what's the matter, and notice immediately that his eyes are red and puffy.

"Chat?"

"Sorry M'lady," he says, breaking into a distant smile. Ah, there's that punny nickname. "Just lost in thought."

"Okay, but I want you to know that I'm always here for you, no matter how alone you feel. Remember that."

He looks taken aback by my words, but I'm not quite sure why. That was the same thing I told Adrien, and he seemed to appreciate what I said, so why did Chat seem offended?

"Uh, thanks," he says with a smile, looking at me shyly.

"Ready for patrol?"

"Whenever you are."

————-

(Chat's POV)

What an odd coincidence. First, Marinette tells me the words I so desperately needed to hear. Then, Ladybug says the exact same words to me later that same day, after she sees my puffy red eyes from crying at school earlier. How peculiar.

I gasp. "Mari..?" I mutter questioningly, as Ladybug ventures off down a different road.

I think about that for some time. The more I think about it, the more similarities I notice between Marinette and M'Lady. Same hair, same eyes, creativity, same completion, same face shape, same voice... but they can't be the same person, can they?

"Nah," I mutter. "It's just some crazy coincidence."

*entire fandom facepalms*

I continue on patrol, scouting the area. While I'm checking to make sure Paris is secure, I realize my spirits have been lifted since earlier today. Marinette really helped me feel better, and now I'm in a much better mood.

But then the rain starts.

And everything comes flooding back.