Leading Different Lives

My first few classes pass with ease, and then it's finally my free period. I have a meeting with our Principal today about starting a new club, and I knew she'd agree. Her and my mom are best friends after all.

"I have a meeting with Principal Hernandez."

The secretary glances at me over her glasses. "Yeah take a seat, she'll see you shortly."

I give her a polite smile. "Thank you." Going out into the seating area, I notice someone else waiting.

She immediately intimidates me. Her dark eyes, leather jacket, and cocky smirk make me nervous. "What are you in for?"

I sit opposite her in the waiting room. "I'm here to talk to Principal Hernandez about starting a club. What you are here for?"

"I stabbed a kid with a screwdriver in shop class."

I choked on the water I was drinking. "Oh, uh, okay. We clearly lead very different lives."

She smirks and nods. "Agreed."

Although her demeanor makes me nervous, there's a certain accent in her voice, almost indistinguishable, that reminds me of talking to my grandmother. "Are you Cuban?"

She seems surprised. "Yeah. How'd you know?"

"Your accent. I'm Cuban as well."

Mystery girl raises an eyebrow, almost pleased at the revelation that we actually have something in common.

Before we can talk any further, the secretary calls out to me. "Mrs. Hernandez will see you now."

I thank her and walk towards the principals door, but not before taking a glance over my shoulder at the mystery girl. She's just so intriguing.

"Oh Lauren, hello." Principal Hernandez greets me as I walk in. "I was told you want to start a club?"

Shaking away my distractions, I sit in the chair across from her. "Yes ma'am. An LGBT organization, to be specific. Since I came out as bi last year, I started noticing the lack of support from my peers. Most of them now look down upon me, as if I have a disease. I know there's other gay kids at this school, and having a safe place for them to express themselves would be life changing."

She chuckles softly. "Lauren, you don't have to give me your spiel. I approve. According to the document you submitted, Ms. Negovanlis has agreed to be the sponsor teacher?"

I nod quickly. "Yes. She, as well as Ms. Bauman, will be attending meetings and group activities and letting us meet in their classrooms."

"Then it sounds like you've got everything in order. Put up some fliers and submit and announcement request and you should be good to go." She smiles warmly at me. "I'm proud of you Lauren, for taking a stand. The other kids in this school will be thankful."

I leave the office with all my nerves set at ease. Principal Hernandez was a long-time family friend, and I'd trust her with anything. Hals, my best friend, already had flier ideas on her computer. We just needed to print some out. I submit the announcement request and head back to my lunch period.

There's not much time to eat left, but Halsey has saved me half her burger and fries. I quickly scarf it down whilst telling her the story of the mystery girl at the office.

"That's just Cabello. She's been here for years."

I almost choke on a fry. "Cabello as in... Camila Cabello?"

Halsey nods. "Yeah. Why do you sound so surprised?"

"We used to be best friends. Until middle school hit and she got mixed in with some rough people. I thought she dropped out honestly."

Halsey smirks at me and my dumbfounded self. "Well if you want to talk to her, she always sneaks back behind the gym during the last half of the day."

"Thanks Hals." My natural desire to be near Camila in the office made sense now; she put me at ease because I've known her for so long. She didn't look the same though.

Camila used to be a little chubby, with baby fat around her cheeks and stomach and thighs. She was also so shy, and dressed totally different. The model-thin, badass I met earlier was in no way the same person.

Then again, I must've changed a lot too. Camila didn't seem to recognize me either. Or maybe she did and just didn't say anything.

I resisted skipping class to find her, although I regretted it all day. I drive home after dropping Halsey off and find my dad standing in the living room talking on the phone.

"Oh Mike, she's right here. Let me ask." He places his hand over the phone speaker and turns to me, "Hey Laur, you remember the Cabello's? Mike has just gotten back from his stint in the Army and wants to know if you and I could meet them for dinner. I know you don't really talk to Karla anymore but-."

"Yeah Dad that sounds great!" I interrupt him in my excitement at seeing Camila again. "I'll go get changed." I rush upstairs and pause once I get in my room, mulling over what my dad had said. Mr. Cabello had been in the army? Who had Camila been living with?

Camila and I had originally met at a few months old, when our dads had both taken us to a Mommy and Me exercise class. Mr. Mike and my dad has bonded over being single fathers trying to mourn the loss of their wives. They'd quickly become close friends, as had Camila and I. But my dad had never mentioned that his friend was in the military. No wonder Camila had gotten into a rough crowd.

I quickly change out of my school uniform and into black ripped jeans with a The 1975 shirt and converse. I let my hair down out of its ponytail and run my fingers through it. When I'm finally satisfied in how I look, I go back down.

"Hey Laur, they want us to meet them at that Cuban place on 17th. You remember that place?" My dad is waiting by the door, putting his on coat.

I nod. "Yeah I remember. Good food." I check myself once more in the mirror by the door.

We leave and I can't help feeling nervous. Camila had been my best friend, I shouldn't be feeling like this. But she's hot now, and I'm gay now, so everything has changed.

The second we walk in, she's staring at me. Our eyes lock and butterflies swarm my stomach. I wouldn't be able to eat tonight. The whole meal, her foot bumps up against my leg and it drives me crazy.

As our dads are sipping the last of their beers, I say, "Camila, will you come with me to the bathroom. Some of the guys in this neighborhood are kinda sketchy."

Camila raises an eyebrow. "Sure Jauregui." She makes sure to walk in front of me, and I swear she moves her butt more than necessary.

The second we step in, I'm locking the door behind me. "Okay good, there was a guy by the register who-."

She cuts me off. "No more games Lauren. I know why you brought me back here." She begins walking closer, to the point where i'm pressed against the bathroom cabinet. "We're so about to make out."

I whimper at the way her hands grab my thighs and sit me on the counter. "Yeah that sounds okay with me." And in that moment, it seems like maybe our lives aren't so different, not if they were able to collide in this brilliant way.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

hi!!!!!

holy shit it's been forever

i'm so so so so so sorry

it was thanksgiving and then finals and too much family time and i completely forgot about this. i was going to get y'all stage dating pt two for christmas, but it hasn't even been started yet oops

pls forgive me

also this story isn't good and there's not plot but i was feeling guilty about not getting y'all anything.

anyways, do y'all want a supercorp/ camren or baby driver/ camren next? those are the only other ones that i've actually put effort into recently sorry.

how were y'alls holidays? i hope they were great!! happy 2020!!

as always, ideas are welcomed! comment them here —>

have a great day/ week/ month/ year/ DECADE!!!

- penny