Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

"Camz wait up!" The night closes in faster than the men chasing us, and my best friend was still too far out of sight. My whisper-shouts fell flat without a response.

My feet thudded against the sidewalk, and I could hear the heavy boots stomping behind me. I could see my bike up ahead with a familiar brunette leaning against it.

Camila tosses my helmet when I'm a few feet away. "Cmon Lo, we don't have all night." She climbs on the bike after me and holds on tight as I start it up.

Soon we're zooming far away from the guys who were absolutely furious at us. Well, not really at us. More like at our fathers, and they just don't understand the "don't shoot the messenger" mentality.

I park outside of our apartment building and turn to face her, pulling my helmet off. "You bitch. You were just going to leave me with them?"

She pulls her helmet off too, and in her eyes was nothing but fire. She was a fighter for sure. "I told you it was time to go. It's not my fault you didn't listen."

"It was going well! You had no reason to think it was going to turn bad."

Her slight frown turns into a full scowl. "I had my intuition Lauren, and that's always been enough to get you to listen."

I roll my eyes. "We haven't ever had a mission like that before! You are so not diplomatic enough."

She hops down from the bike and flips me off over her shoulder. "Fuck you Jauregui!"

I watch her walk away, guilt bubbling in my stomach. Her intuition had gotten us out of some pretty rough situations, and the guys tonight definitely weren't the greatest people, but when you're asking money from someone it's better if you do it nicely.

When I get upstairs to my room, I shower and listen to Lana Del Ray's entire newest album on vinyl before going out onto my balcony. Camila's was right next to mine, an inch of space separating the railings, and I easily hop over the barrier and onto her balcony like I've done so many times.

I knock twice on her door and walk in, already knowing it would be open. This late night tradition was normal. I grab the box of snacks from under her bed and sit on a beanbag. I'm eating M&Ms when she walks in, and she doesn't even look surprised to see me.

Sighing, she pulls me into a standing position and hugs me close. "I'm sorry Lo."

I place one hand on the back of her head and my other arm goes around her shoulders. "It's okay Camz. I should've trusted you." I run my fingers through her wavy hair. "These are life and death situations, we have to be extra careful."

"Can't we just leave?" The question she pleads into my shoulder has been asked several times, and my answer had always remained the same. This time though, after looking down the barrel of a gun and seeing the fear in Camila's eyes, my answer had changed.

"Yes." I pull her impossibly closer and whisper, "yes we can. Pack a bag, necessities only, and meet me downstairs in half an hour."

She looks me in the eye, clearly shocked. "Lauren wait, you're serious?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die."

A face splitting grin spreads across her face. "What changed your mind?"

"You did. You're the only thing that makes this life bearable, and I came really close to losing you tonight. It won't happen again."

Her smile softens, less ecstatic and more loving. "Well then you better go get packed."

Once back in my room, I throw some pajamas, my laptop and chargers, a pair of jeans, and a couple of T-shirts into a backpack. I change into black jeans, a gray sweatshirt, and my black leather jacket with my converse. Under my bed is a box of photographs, all of which also go into the backpack, and a bank bag with $15,000 in it. It was 5 years worth of a collection from my families illegal fortune.

In the kitchen, on the key rack, was the key to a Mustang convertible. I grab it and head to the garage. It takes Camila three and a half minutes to arrive from the time I get to the car, and she throws her bag into the backseat before sitting next to me.

As I start to drive, she plugs her phone into the aux cord. "Any song requests?"

"Just play something badass."

Authors Note

this is short and not specifically romantic or anything but here ya go!!

part two of the cabello sisters will be up soon

have a great day!

-PJ