Atypical

Lauren thought she was ready for the move. Chris drove her nuts constantly, her mom was a whore, and her dad has panic attacks and only fed them pizza. The only thing solid in her life was Luis, her boyfriend.

So yeah, she was ready for a change. She dressed in her prep school uniform and played with the hem of her plaid skirt as her dad drove her.

"You okay?" Mike Jauregui wasn't good with feelings, obviously, but he cared about his daughter.

Lauren nods, not sure who she's trying to convince more. "Yeah. It's a really good opportunity."

Her dad just squeezes her hand. "Well we're here kiddo."

Nodding, she slowly gets out of the car. The campus seemed even bigger than it had during the tour. She walks across the lawn, along with hundreds of other kids, and stops short when she realizes she has nowhere to go.

Someone taps her shoulder and she turns to see the most beautiful girl ever. "Hey."

Lauren adjusts her backpack strap and relies, "Hi. You're Camila right? I'm Casey, I'm the... well you already know that." She's not sure why she suddenly feels a hundred butterflies in her stomach. "Sorry I'm like, super nervous." She lets out a light chuckle. "I'm the new kid from Newton."

Camila rolls her eyes. "Look 'new kid from Newton'-."

Lauren interjects, "Lauren is my name", which gets ignored.

Camila scoffs and continues, "I'm sure you were hot shit at your last crappy school but-."

"Wow," Lauren interrupts again, "warm welcome. They should put you in the orientation video." Camila was a bitch for sure, but Lauren has never felt so attracted to another human being.

Camila continues again like Lauren hasn't spoken. "But I've heard about you."

"Good things, I hope." Lauren cracks a smile as a last ditch effort to get Camila to lighten up, but it fails.

"You punched a girl in the face and got suspended so," Camila shakes her head, "no." She takes a step closer the Lauren. "I've worked my ass off to build this team, and we don't need any drama."

Lauren shifts on her feet, wondering why this girl is so insistent on hating her. "I don't want any drama either."

"Don't care." Camila sends her a cocky smirk. "Just handle yourself." She walks past Lauren, who turns to follow.

"Um Coach said you were gonna show me around?"

Camila turns back. "Classes are in there," she juts her thumb behind her at the building, "good luck."

The rest of the day is just as shitty. Lauren feels like she's going to flunk biology and it's only day one. She spends lunch alone in a hallway. After school, she changes and makes her way to the field.

She greets the team with a, "hi," and a small smile.

"You look tired Jauregui." Camila stretches her back. "Rough day?"

"Nope," Lauren replies, popping the p, "it's been great."

"Find your way around all right?" Camila's dig didn't go unnoticed.

"Yep." Lauren bends down to stretch her legs. "This super helpful girl showed me around." She makes eye contact with Camila, and the butterflies return.