chapter9

the end, four people were taken. We children were put into a basement of sorts, but Elea was taken elsewhere. In other words, there weren’t any particular problems.
In the large basement there’re dozens of… Commoners?

… Well, anyways, since other children were captured my plan was already done for.

But I’m calm. My heart is already satisfied.

「…… Yuru-sama…」

Shelly’s grasping onto my dress out of anxiety. …… Why are you over here?

「…… Fuun.」

Even though he’s acting tough, Rick’s legs are shaking like a newborn fawn. Fufufu. Rick, you… Why’re you sticking so closely to young ladies who’re only 7 and 4 years old?

It’s times like these that I remember that I’m a Demon.

The soul of a Demon, and the spirit of a Human. The spirit and heart are roughly the same, but there’s a slight difference. Because the 『Me』 from that world of dreams passed on their memories, I’ve come to the understanding that their spiritual strength was high. Of course, thinking about it like that only makes me think that this situation is all the more frightening. Demons are to live in the Spirit World. Living here, my Spirit is being worn down constantly, and for my Demon soul to grow properly I require the souls of others.

And now, before my eyes, are a number of injured children.

Not given enough food, the children don’t even have the power to cry. Their eyes are vacant and without hope, perhaps due to assault. Without treatment, these children will most likely die.

In front of these children, I feel neither 『Anger』 nor 『Pity』. I…… Instead, I have a profound 『Affection』 towards the children.

…… Hey, isn’t that funny?

I’m not feeling compassionate, despite it sounding that way. Facing the suffering and wounded children, I find beauty and satisfaction… Just what kind of pervert…?

…… Eh?

「…… That child……」
「… Yuru-sama……?」

My eyes are drawn to a child who lays unmoving amongst several children.

「That child…… Wishes to die…」

Just as those words leave my mouth, my feet begin to walk. Probably because I forgot to give my usual smile, the wounded children clear my path out of『Fear』.

When I approach, the children separate from the child out of fright. To the『Child who wishes to die』 I quietly approach and bend down on one knee.

「You…… Is it hard to live?」

There are signs of breath being held all around with my words.

The child looks at me…… And leaks out words which becomes nothing but a hoarse *HyuuHyuu*. But their vacant eyes say:『I want and end to this suffering…… I wish to be at peace…』

「…… That’s no good.」

Touching the child’s cheek softly, I let out those cold words. At the same time, they flow into me……

The child’s 『Pain』 and 『Despair』 satisfies my heart.

Aah…… Human beings are such lovely creatures.

Such a small child… For such a small body and spirit to have such 『Sweet Nectar』.

「Even if it’s painful, you must live…… That is the fate of humanity.」