Chapter 12: Trapped

Ethan's Pov
I slowly opened my eyes and yawned softly. Was it morning already? No, it couldn't be. It still dark outside and I was still a wolf. I huffed softly and shakily stood up from where I was laying down. Every part of me was extremely sore from changing and it made it even harder to move than it already was trying to learn with my new body. I looked around once I stood up and realized that I wasn't in Tyler's bedroom anymore. Instead, I was in the forest and Tyler wasn't anywhere to be seen. I felt my ears pin back against my head and my tail tucked itself close to my body. I was alone and something was definitely wrong with this forest. It seemed too quiet and empty and it sent an eerie chill down my spine.

Suddenly a strong smell wafted to me and it almost made me sick. It was blood. Fresh and lots of it. I tried to follow where it was coming from and soon I was wandering through the trees in the dark. The awful coppery smell was getting stronger so I knew I was getting close. I pushed through a bush and my eyes gaze fell to something lying on the ground. I yelped and fell backward when I saw what it was. It was Mark.

His clothes were shredded and there were bites all over his arms and legs. Red scratches were littered all over his chest, face, and arms and his throat was torn open with blood still horrifically dripping from the mangled wound. Tears welled into my eyes with fear and I felt like I was going to throw up. An image of me attacking Mark and giving him all of those bites and scratches flashed before my eyes. The nightmarish scene ended right before I tore out Mark's throat with my own teeth but I couldn't get his screams of agony out of my head. I whimpered helplessly and began to cry, well, cry as best as a wolf could.

Another wave of the smell of blood hit me and I began to follow it. It wasn't very far so it only took me a couple of minutes to walk towards the source while I was shaking with fear. This time I couldn't even recognize the face of the body since it was so torn up. Tears were already falling down my face in horror but I started to cry harder when I saw the body's hair and clothes. It was Amy. Her scent was faint under all of the blood but I could recognize it. Once again images flashed through my mind of me attacking her and this time I wasn't so lucky to avoid watching myself rip her face apart. Her yells and cries for help for Mark echoed through my mind and I tried to cover my ears to block them out. Of course, my body didn't quite allow that so it was useless.

I whined softly and tried to calm myself down slightly. It would be better for me if I stopped shaking so hard so I could move away from my friends' dead remains. I started to walk when a third trail of blood smell made itself present. I didn't want to follow it. I was scared of what I'd see myself do but I knew I had to. I shakily walked to where the strong smell was coming from and braced myself for whatever was there. I came up to the body way sooner than I liked and I immediately knew who it was. Jack. This time I couldn't handle myself despite preparing myself and I ran away from Jack's corpse to vomit next to a nearby tree.

His glasses laid beside him, cracked and broken and his face was covered in scratches. I could see deeper gashes across his chest through tears in his shirt and his legs had several bites. But the part that caused me to throw up was the fact his entire stomach was slashed open and his intestines were sprawled out next to his sides. I curled myself into a ball and shut my eyes tightly, shaking. I started crying again in fear as the scene played in my head. I almost threw up another time when I saw myself tear Jack's stomach open while he sobbed in terror and pain. I was forced to watch him slowly bleed to death and see his eyes drain of life until they were blank.

The horrible flashbacks finally ended and I felt my ears twitch on top of my head. Somewhere close by a stick had snapped under an unexpected weight and a sudden voice cut through the dark forest.