Precautions

"Seth, I'm home!" I walked through the door with groceries hanging off my arms. I sat the plastic bags on the table.

"Seth?"

I heard him rustling around in the bathroom.

"Violet! What the hell is this?" He came out of the bathroom.

"What are you on about? What is what?"

He stuck a white stick in my face. It was the pregnancy test. Oh gosh this wasn't gonna be good.

"It was just for precaution!" I grabbed it from his hand.

"You know what this means right?"

"Nothing! Because it's negative."

"What!?" He looked at me in disbelief. He took the test back from me and turned to me.

"Because that sure as hell looks like two lines too me."

It's positive????

"Oh my god!" My hands flew to my mouth. I began to shake.

"No, no, no." I sobbed. My knees felt week. I started to collapse to the ground. This cannot be happening to me right now. Seth's arms wrapped around me and held me close.

"We'll figure it out." He whispered into my hair.

"No!" I pushed away from him, "You don't understand."

He gave me a questioning look.

"What do you mean I don't understand?"

Guilt overtook me. I wanted to run. I wanted to get away from this whole situation, but I knew that running away from your problems doesn't really solve them, it just makes them worse.

"Because I slept with Dallas on the same night that I slept with you!" I screamed. I covered my face out of humiliation. Seth just stood there in shock staring at me.

"Yo- You what?"

"I'm sorry..." I whispered, tears pouring down my face.

"So-what does that mean?"

"I- I don't know who the father is." I turned away from him, not wanting to look at his face.

He didn't seem mad. He really had no right to be mad. He had cheated on me multiple time before. I didn't even cheat on him! We aren't together. We haven't been for a long time.

He took a deep breath and grabbed my hands.

"It's gonna be okay." I tilted my head down. He put his index finger under my chin and made me look into his eyes.

"Hey, listen to me. Whether this baby is mine or not, I'm gonna be there for you if you want me too. I'll help you. You're not going to go through this alone."

I wrapped my arms around his waist. He put his hands on the back of my head and held me tight. For the first time I felt like my best friend was hugging me instead of my ex lover.

Maybe everything will be okay.

Two days later...

Today was the day. The day I had to tell Dallas that I was pregnant, but I also had to tell him I wasn't for sure it was his baby. And I couldn't be sure for another nine months.

I didn't know how he was going to react. I knew he'd be upset and hurt. The fact that I slept with someone else just hours after I slept with him. I mean, I'd be hurt too. He probably thought we had something going on, that there was a future for his. I really still hope there is a future for us. Whether this kid is his or not, I really truly can see a life with him.