Chapter Two

~Monday 7th January 2013~

Eden ran his hand through his hair with a heavy sigh, grimacing at the knots his fingers caught on. Six was just too early on a Monday morning, especially when he hadn't slept anywhere as close to what he needed. He shouldn't complain really, four hours sleep seemed to be a blessing as of late, he couldn't ask for more when the majority of the time he only got half that.

The nightmares weren't the problem. It was the restlessness. Eden could be on his feet all day, his body screaming for slumber, but the second his head hit the pillow he would be wide awake. A few months ago, it hadn't been too bad. Presently, it was getting to be quite a serious complication. On more than one occasion, Eden had had to miss work because his energy levels were so low he couldn't even stand up. The effect on his daily life scared him, yet he saw no solution in sight.

Therapists would tell him it was all in his head, doctors would prescribe his medication that his body would burn through quicker than he could count to ten. There was always the option of seeking medical attention a little more far-out than the western world. He was sure someone would have the contact information for a witch doctor, the trouble would come simply when they began to discuss payment. He didn't have the money to spend on a black magic healing ritual and some herbs. He would just have to learn to live with it.

Sitting up in bed, Eden squinted when he turned on his bedside lamp, waiting a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the new light. He fumbled through his bedside table drawer, stilling when he heard the familiar crinkling and withdrew the little packet of pills. Popping two out of their casings, Eden swallowed them dry with ease, the taste barely even registering anymore.

Tossing the packet back into the drawer, Eden left it half-open, knowing if it closed fully he would have to use much more strength to open it. That's just what he had to deal with with cheap furniture. He wasn't a billionaire, his family couldn't afford the higher quality stuff. Eden counted to twenty, waiting for the caffeine in the pills to take effect before rising from his bed, only feeling light-headed for a matter of seconds, much better than what he would have experienced a few weeks ago.

Stepping into his en-suite, Eden flicked the lightswitch, sighing when the bulb didn't even attempt to fizzle on. So that was what he had forgotten the previous night. Washing his face and brushing his teeth in only the light streaming in from his bedroom, Eden didn't even bother to attempt to drag a brush through his hair or showering just yet. He would have to run down to the store to get another bulb before he tried that, since they likely didn't have any spare.

Returning to his bedroom, Eden pulled on the same hoodie he had worn the previous day, not even bothering with a shirt or to change out of his black pyjama pants. He'd get dressed properly after a shower, no point soiling clean clothes before then. Slipping his phone into his pocket, Eden ventured downstairs quietly, turning on the kitchen light when he got down there. At least that one worked.

Rummaging through the drawers, Eden found no sign of any bulbs, none that weren't old and burnt out. Why his mother couldn't just throw things out, he had no idea. Collecting anything he deemed trash, Eden spent a few minutes cleaning out the bits and bobs from the drawers, although organising fully would take a lot longer than that. Eden tried not to dwell on the state of the house, he feared he would go insane if he did.

Eden hesitated for a moment, a controversial little idea crawling into his mind. He shouldn't, but it made sense really. Walking back upstairs quietly, wincing at every creaking floorboard, Eden found himself outside the room he was forbidden to set foot in. A stupid rule his mother had made, but nevertheless, one he followed. Most of the time. Eden slipped into the room quickly, immediately covering his mouth, nearly retching from the stench that hit him.